Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Gamergate
Your thoughts on Gamergate
I want to ask what you guys know about gamergate and you think of it. Personally I'm very much in favor of it because of a few reasons.
1. Lack of rational argument on the opposite side. I've look into the opposition to gamergate and what I see is 3 things. A lack of addressing the points about corruption and censorship that gamergate coalesced around. A lack of rational argument for their positions and evidence to back their claims. And a complete lack of argumentation in good faith. In fact I have been banned from 5 other subreddits simply for posting in the gamergate subreddits these include: /r/rape /r/offmychest /r/ gamer girl /r/ natural hair /r/ gamerghazi. Three with out ever making a single post their and the other 2 I made one post, both quite civil.
2. I fucking loathe censorship and corruption. You don't like a game? Go buy one you like. Can find games you like? Make one, do something positive. Don't try to censor developers that don't include enough people of color because the game is set in 15th century Bohemia (this happened with the upcoming kingdom come: deliverance) and don't charge people because they disagree with you on twitter, or fuck the people your reporting on with no disclosure (kotaku)
3. The otherside seeing people as collectives. An example of this was when a hashtag called not your shield was spawned and many anti gamergate people called them sockpuppets. This was a movement of women and minorities standing against censorship, and corruption in the media.
4. The fact that the threats received have not been linked to gamergate, and that none that I have seen so far even mention it.
5. The continued use of disproven facts to attack gamers. This has been going on since games got popular. First it was Satanism, then violence, now sexism. Now I won't deny that sexism exists in some gaming communities, mostly in the form of shit talking to get a rise out of people. Now the that games make people sexist runs in direct contradiction to the fact that in the same time frame that gsmes have become mainstream, violence agianst women, and violence as a whole has dropped quite significantly. Also a 2011 study called they could be bunny rabbits for all I care was targeted directly at minorities and lgbt people found that race, sex, and sexuality had little to do with the players ability to enjoy the game or relate to the character.

Your thoughts?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by ApeNotKillApe - March 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 5:26 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by The Grand Nudger - March 4, 2016 at 5:29 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 10:57 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by ApeNotKillApe - March 4, 2016 at 5:33 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 4, 2016 at 6:40 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 10:55 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 5, 2016 at 1:24 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Angrboda - March 4, 2016 at 7:11 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 1:54 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 1:57 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 5, 2016 at 2:08 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 3:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion to Disappear by 2041... Thoughts? festive1 38 8505 January 31, 2014 at 1:18 am
Last Post: yoshirama