Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion to Disappear by 2041... Thoughts?
Religion to Disappear by 2041... Thoughts?
http://guardianlv.com/2013/07/religion-t...new-study/

Personally, I think it's a wee bit optimistic.
RE: Religion to Disappear by 2041... Thoughts?
That seems way too optimistic. That's less than 30 years away. Think of all of the devout religious people you know, think about how many of them are likely to still be around in 2041, and ask yourself how many of those are likely to have abandoned religion in that time. Based on the ones I know, I wouldn't even put the number at 25%, much less 100%.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:His main thesis stems from the phenomenon of religion declining as personal wealth increases.

First, I do not see any poor or middle class citizens becoming richer.

Secondly, the rich republitards are rather religious.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I think they got the numbers wrong. It should be 2140. Seems a more reasonable estimate, there's no way religion is dying out in the next 30 years or so.
I agree with you guys. 2041 is way too optimistic. And I'm not exactly sure what he means by "disappear." Does that mean become totally irrelevant even though there will still be religious people or does it mean nobody will be practicing religion? Does that mean worldwide or only in developed countries?

While things are looking up for us since the younger generation is less religious than older ones, there's no way that religion will disappear in the U.S. in my lifetime. The Republican Party is becoming less relevant in today's political scene, but the religious right still wields quite a bit of power.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Didn`t people in the 1950s say that we would be living in underwater cities?
I'd hate to see religion disappear. It's religious people that need to be fitted for cement loafers.

Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 24, 2013 at 8:49 am)Napoléon Wrote: I think they got the numbers wrong. It should be 2140. Seems a more reasonable estimate, there's no way religion is dying out in the next 30 years or so.

Or maybe 2410. Or 4210. Ooh, this is fun.
Never in the history of Germany have so many German not been affiliated with religion.
40% of the country considere themselves to be either atheist or agnostic.

BUT

at the same time, the sales numbers for esoteric products and "alternative soul searching" rubbish is going up here.

So I conclude that it is more of an economic question and that the thing which will (if ever) replace religion will be a product which applies more to the customers needs.
I actually want them to be around for a long time but in huge minority, so that can experience how is it like...

On the other hand, it would be utterly boring if religion completely ceased to exist, Bill Maher would not be half as funny as he is now Tongue
Why Won't God Heal Amputees ? 

Oči moje na ormaru stoje i gledaju kako sarma kipi  Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your thoughts on Gamergate Lemonvariable72 13 2612 March 5, 2016 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72