Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Gamergate
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate
(March 4, 2016 at 6:40 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I'm against Gamer Gate, because it has absolutely NOTHING to do with ethics in journalism. They've had absolutely no problem with ethics in gaming journalism when it comes to AAA titles. It wasn't until indie developer Zoe Quinn was revealed to have had a relationship with someone who briefly mentioned her work (and not even while they were in a relationship) that they started screaming about CENSORSHIP (Which I'm not sure they understand the concept at all) Funny how the people who claim their movement is about censorship want to censor and silence women in the industry (especially when they criticize the industry over the portrayal of women. Apparently this is not censorship, but criticism apparently is). Most of their targets have been women too.

And the no-true scotsman fallacy applies here too. The movement may not have made any coordinated efforts to make threats (though it appears they have, at least from what I've read with sites set up specifically to attack Zoe Quinn and others, including listing her family's home address and phone number), but members of the movement have certainly issued threats. Among them: "Next time she shows up at a conference we … give her a crippling injury that’s never going to fully heal … a good solid injury to the knees. I’d say a brain damage, but we don’t want to make it so she ends up too retarded to fear us.”"

Essentially Gamergate is a bunch of people who think that freedom of speech means freedom from criticism. Much like religious people like freedom of religion means their religion is protected from criticism.
I've been involved for a few weeks and that isn't what I've seen at all. Fact is I have seen a lot of wanting to move the conversation past her because she is irrelevant at this point. I would also disagree that no one has issues with corruption from AAA titles. There are three up right now that are active in the gamergate community, one is a active investigation into companies buying steam reviews, another is the active campaign against fire emblem fates for the localization butchery and another game being called for not allowing any reviewers pre-release access. Also none of the threats have actually been linked to gamergate or mention it, and a lot of it somewhat generic stuff like that sniper copy pasta that most internet personalities get. People on both sides have getting threats and in fact both kotaku in action and the hashtag are actively policed against such trolling. I'd also like links to those sites. Now to get into Zoe herself. She never came out with the relationship at all. It was her boyfriend at the time that outed her for cheating on him, and was collaborated by Nate greyson, the writer in question. Also worth pointing out that no one is calling for silencing women or forcing out of them out of the industry, what have heard is multiple calls for these people making threats to brought to justice, and a lot condemnation for john Kelly on the whole allison rapp thing. I highly recommend you look at the hashtag and Kotaku in action with your own eyes and see what is being discussed there and how it is being talked about.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 5:05 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by ApeNotKillApe - March 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 5:26 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by The Grand Nudger - March 4, 2016 at 5:29 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 10:57 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by ApeNotKillApe - March 4, 2016 at 5:33 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 4, 2016 at 6:40 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 4, 2016 at 10:55 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 5, 2016 at 1:24 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Angrboda - March 4, 2016 at 7:11 pm
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 1:54 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 1:57 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Cecelia - March 5, 2016 at 2:08 am
RE: Your thoughts on Gamergate - by Lemonvariable72 - March 5, 2016 at 3:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion to Disappear by 2041... Thoughts? festive1 38 8505 January 31, 2014 at 1:18 am
Last Post: yoshirama