Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A weird conversation
RE: A weird conversation
Those damned aliens also fucked up one of my favorite movie lines.  They apparently made a "director's cut" of the movie Army of Darkness where Ash never said, "Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun."  I watched the whole movie just to see that line it it wasn't there!  Why do they hate us so???

You know, this believer mindset just has me fascinated right now.  The way he set it up in his head he had all this "evidence" to make his case.  His evidence was nothing more than a list of examples.  I could shoot down any of them and it didn't bother him.  If I shot down all of them, no problem.  He would just go look up more.  He set it up in his head to be absolutely impossible to dismiss as the nonsense it is.  I have seen this before, of course, but never so pronounced.  This was the first time I had talked to someone who didn't give a rat's ass about the particular examples.  He was perfectly willing to let go of any and all of them because he knew he could find hundreds more in an afternoon.

UFO fanatics are similar, but instead they focus on particular pieces of their "evidence".  They aren't willing to give an inch until you prove, beyond doubt, that they are wrong on that one.  Then they pretend the conversation never happened and move on to the next thing.  They obsess over whatever the flavor of the day is until it is shot down, then move on to the next.

But I've never seen it before where the believer just doesn't care about their "evidence" because it's so abundant.  If I had to guess I would say that it's because the concept is so very vague and the "evidence" so easy to find and memorize that it just didn't matter.  I shoot down your five favorites you go spend an hour on the Internet sorting through to memorize the best six you can find and your case is stronger than ever.  I really need a degree in psychology because studying this would be absolutely fascinating.

Of course, given that his beliefs have gotten wackier over the years it's very possible my friend needs a med adjustment and has been neglecting his appointments for a few years.  And I'm serious about that, he talked like a crazy person yesterday.  He was afraid to even mention it to me at first, but was bursting to do so at the same time.  He doesn't just believe this, it is a part of the alternate reality he has woven around himself.  Ah, crazy people.  What would we do without them?  Oh yeah, I would have gotten some work done.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.

Messages In This Thread
A weird conversation - by Asmodee - February 21, 2017 at 12:43 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by ignoramus - February 21, 2017 at 8:01 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by The Valkyrie - February 21, 2017 at 9:36 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by Minimalist - February 21, 2017 at 9:44 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by The Valkyrie - February 21, 2017 at 9:50 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by chimp3 - February 21, 2017 at 10:12 pm
RE: A weird conversation - by Asmodee - February 22, 2017 at 10:48 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have you ever seen something weird paulpablo 21 6983 January 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37