Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What made you change your views?
RE: What made you change your views?
This question is asked a lot on this forum but I'll just have to try and find new inventive ways of answering it because I do like answering this question.

I'll try as best as I can to recollect from memory the major points when I was a very young child christian.  Major points where I thought something along the lines of "Hmmmm that's odd." Leading me to eventually believe god doesn't exist.

I took the bible we were learning very literally and I remember being confused that no one seemed to be learning the lessons from the bible.  No one I knew gave much to the poor, people in church made fun of the poor, they'd all try and dress better than one another.  Showing what I'd consider to be vanity and contempt for anyone who looked slightly scruffy.
Christian kids in my school would have bitter arguments over who was closer to God.  I just never got any notion of clean cut morality involving being nice to people, it was more like a fake morality of "I'm nicer/holier than thou, so I'll look down my nose at these other people."
This was noticable around the age of 7.

Secondly, I know there's probably Christians who have their apologetic arguments for Adam and Eve coinciding with dinosaurs, but we were just taught two contradictory accounts of what the world was like with no explanation given. 
Not that I give any credit to Christian explanations as to what the bible says and how that relates to scientific explanations of the formation of the world, I'm just saying that we weren't even taught any sophisticated Christian explanations.
We were simply taught there were dinosaurs and other strange beasts millions of years ago before man, and also god made everything in a few days including man.
This was around the age of 10.

And then I was in my teenage years and in secondary school where it was even more obvious to me how many religions there were, how history is full of empires using religion as a political tool, the very sketchy evidence for Christianity.

And to add to all this the questions I was asking when I was 10 about dinosaurs still weren't be answered which definitely set alarm bells going.

I've only spent a brief period in my life interested in media dedicated to atheism.  People like Dawkins and Hitchens and so on. 

But I always seem to have had a tendency to gravitate towards a fair emount of media that would involve atheism and mocking/casting doubt on religion/God.
The list of things is endless but to name a few that I remember from my younger years, Metallica, The Simpsons, Motorhead, Civilisation the computer game.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
What made you change your views? - by pulzar - May 1, 2017 at 11:51 am
RE: What made you change your views? - by mlmooney89 - May 1, 2017 at 11:58 am
RE: What made you change your views? - by Foxaèr - May 1, 2017 at 12:11 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by emjay - May 1, 2017 at 1:08 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Crunchy - May 1, 2017 at 4:00 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by paulpablo - May 1, 2017 at 4:47 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Crunchy - May 2, 2017 at 5:57 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by emjay - May 4, 2017 at 7:16 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Chad32 - May 2, 2017 at 6:03 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Alex K - May 2, 2017 at 6:10 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Crunchy - May 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by brewer - May 2, 2017 at 6:15 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Grandizer - May 2, 2017 at 6:20 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by vorlon13 - May 2, 2017 at 6:25 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Minimalist - May 4, 2017 at 5:02 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by pulzar - May 5, 2017 at 1:11 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by brewer - May 5, 2017 at 1:22 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by *Deidre* - July 20, 2017 at 10:16 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by ignoramus - July 20, 2017 at 10:21 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by *Deidre* - July 20, 2017 at 10:28 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by The Valkyrie - July 21, 2017 at 12:15 am
RE: What made you change your views? - by Minimalist - July 21, 2017 at 12:00 am
RE: What made you change your views? - by ignoramus - July 20, 2017 at 10:46 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by *Deidre* - July 20, 2017 at 10:53 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by Astreja - July 20, 2017 at 11:49 pm
RE: What made you change your views? - by ignoramus - July 21, 2017 at 12:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to change from islam to atheist thanzi 21 4198 February 4, 2015 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Nope
  The X-Files made me an atheist. Yup, you read that right. Clueless Morgan 14 5519 June 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How Catholics Made Me Atheist Herroimnathan 6 4009 February 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My change to Atheism from Christianity (I'm 14) TheYoungAtheist 117 36104 July 3, 2011 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  My Change Hopppppppp 16 8256 April 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: EggSpurt
  The Bible made me an Atheist. Dotard 40 20205 August 27, 2009 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Minimalist