Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 4:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using sir and ma'am to address people...
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people...
So being southern to the bone I can't handle when people say "don't call me sir or ma'am because I'm not old" I want to scream at them it isn't about age it's about respect. I used to give the same respect to children that they gave me.
"Mrs Mandy can I play at this station now?"
"Did you clean up your last station?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Then yes sir/ma'am you may."

I never blinked an eye at calling children ma'am and sir nor did the children at being called that because in the south it is part of our culture and I think what makes our charm. Manners mean so much to me and I do get offended if I ask someone a question and they say "yeah" instead of 'yes ma'am" At my work I get called ma'am all day by all ages. I know it's just a matter of different cultures but I can't stand the yankee manners and find them very rude. One of my coworkers is from New York and the rest of us have to remember that she wasn't raised with our manners and she doesn't mean anything when she speaks the way she does.

With that said I do understand that with people being more comfortable being themselves some don't identify as one gender or another and that is fine but it makes southern manners difficult. I know this is my problem not theirs and will probably be the start of a slow death of ma'am and sir which makes me very sad but I understand people matter more than society rules. As for now if I can obviously determine the gender I will still use ma'am/sir. If I can't I will rephrase to try and keep good manners while not labeling.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Messages In This Thread
Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by c172 - June 26, 2017 at 10:57 pm
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by J a c k - June 26, 2017 at 11:20 pm
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by Jesster - June 26, 2017 at 11:22 pm
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by Losty - June 27, 2017 at 2:00 am
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by brewer - June 27, 2017 at 12:44 pm
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by mlmooney89 - June 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people... - by Aegon - June 28, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1018 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Make a conversation using only gifs dahrling 10 1941 May 15, 2015 at 11:34 am
Last Post: dahrling
Thumbs Down Beware of using other bank's ATM's!! CindysRain 10 2272 July 17, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Cato
  Disproving God using HISTORICAL PROOF BlackSwordsman 5 1488 June 22, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why are we still using coal? Chad32 14 2646 January 14, 2014 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Using neuroscience jargon to improve your interpersonal relationships Whateverist 4 1200 November 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  RIP Sir Patrick Moore Cyberman 11 3214 December 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Sir Clive sinclair doesn't use computers anymore. leo-rcc 2 1504 March 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc