Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Sir Patrick Moore
RIP Sir Patrick Moore
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

The Universe just became a less colourful place.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: RIP Sir Patrick Moore
The sky has lost a star this night.
One of the brightest.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
One of the fattest.

Or should i say - one of the densest mass stars?

but srsly, the man was amazing. I didn't realise NASA used his work to plan the moon landings. Not bad for an amateur!
Never heard his opinion on this, but I feel it's a good light hearted reminder of Sir Patrick Moore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_Ckg5ott8
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Like probably every astronomer in the UK, amateur and above, I've got loads of his books which have become well-thumbed over the years. One that he wrote in the seventies is called "Can You Speak Venusian?", about what he called 'independent thinkers', or as we would call them, 'cranks'. People such as flat-Earthers, or hollow-Earthers, or Velikovsy-followers. i haven't read it for ages, but I recall one chapter about some bloke who had contacted a race of aliens on Saturn or something. Interviewing him, Patrick asked what they were like and the guy described them as being man-sized but spherical in shape; to which Patrick said "They sound like perfect balls" and the man agreed.
I went to two of his lectures as a child. Both were utterly brilliant. He will be missed.
He had a good run but let's not overdo it. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan were both better.
(December 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm)John V Wrote: He had a good run but let's not overdo it. Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan were both better.

Cant tell if this is a joke.Thinking

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Better at what? Playing James Bond, perhaps, but as astronomers they're not even at the starting gate. It's almost as though there was a whole section between your two sentences that got left out for some reason, or like you cobbled together two totally unrelated sentences.

(December 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Cant tell if this is a joke.Thinking

I know what you mean. Even I try not to be this obscure if I can help it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saint Patrick's Day!! BrianSoddingBoru4 21 1065 March 21, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Anyone planning on seeing the new Michael Moore movie? Jehanne 16 1182 September 18, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Using sir and ma'am to address people... c172 54 11430 June 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Roger Moore dead at 89! ignoramus 18 4633 May 24, 2017 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Happy St Patrick's Day to all! ignoramus 10 1272 March 17, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  RIP Lemmy Kilmister Mechaghostman2 20 3001 December 30, 2015 at 10:03 am
Last Post: abaris
  RIP- "Lady Fazer" KichigaiNeko 15 4029 May 25, 2012 at 6:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Happy Irish Day!! (Oh yeah and those guys known as St patrick) KichigaiNeko 0 1196 March 17, 2011 at 6:15 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Sir Clive sinclair doesn't use computers anymore. leo-rcc 2 1496 March 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Vale Patrick Swaze. Oldandeasilyconfused 15 4490 September 16, 2009 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: dry land fish