Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
In a liberal social geography class I took last year at uni, two principles about gender were universally embraced:

A) Gender is a societally constructed concept. The gender roles we take are artificial constraints, and we should not limit people by them.
B) Transgender people were born in the wrong one and have every right to change genders.

I see these views as very contradictory. If we assume A to be true, the different roles and traits of one gender are being arbitrarily grouped together, and as a society we should not compel people to constrain themselves to the characteristics of one gender. For example, instead of saying women should be the ones to do sewing and cooking, we should say that gender should not be what determines who does sewing and cooking.

If we assume B to be ideal, we're saying that someone should be able to choose which grouping of characteristics belonging to one gender they would rather follow. This attitude implies that there is a reason to change gender: that there is something fundamentally different between genders that is innate to a person.

I think both of these are reasonable propositions. But I don't see them as reconcilable. A states that gender characteristics are not innate, while B implies that they are. A suggests that we should not treat people differently based on their gender, while B assumes that we do. B almost seems to be an affront to A. I know this site is generally quite liberal, so I was wondering if anyone here can explain to me the rationale for holding these views simultaneously.

Messages In This Thread
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by shadow - August 21, 2017 at 11:07 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:16 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:37 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 22, 2017 at 11:32 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 10:19 am
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 11:11 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by SaStrike - September 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Amarok - September 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7821 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7321 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A rant on gender stereotypes Natachan 203 25800 January 10, 2015 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Losty
  Potential Christian-Platonist Contradiction? MindForgedManacle 18 4229 April 16, 2014 at 11:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2743 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View Knight 132 60421 January 28, 2010 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet