Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to answer "I know that I know that I know"?
RE: How to answer "I know that I know that I know"?
(December 20, 2017 at 8:18 am)riaaneloff Wrote: 1) God is so great, so amazing, so holy, that all the pain in the world (babies dying of cancer, entire civilizations wiped out by Israel, tsunamis killing thousands of people) is so minuscule in comparison to what he SHOULD be doing to us for being sinful, that my friend does not regard it as immoral/wrong/bad. He believes that god should actually just wipe us from the universe...BUT, god is being gracious, and only allowing some small pain.
If there is preventable suffering which he can but won't prevent, then his is not the highest degree of goodness or perfection.

(December 20, 2017 at 8:18 am)riaaneloff Wrote: 2) He agrees that the bible may not be perfect, and that it is not the inerrant Word of God...but, he believes that the bible is a good guide, as the bible (for him) correlates to what he sees in the world today.
If the bible is not the word of god, and your friend is not out stoning unruly children, then he is cherrypicking from the book using his own morality, and doesn't really need the book. 1984 and Orwell's other books seem to correlate with what we are seeing today too... though with a healthy dose of "interpretation".

(December 20, 2017 at 8:18 am)riaaneloff Wrote: 3) Even though he agrees that he has NO EVIDENCE for god, he holds to the fact that he just knows that he knows that he knows god is real and is part of his daily life.

Ask him what precisely and observably difference would there be in his daily life, if there was no god.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to answer "I know that I know that I know"? - by GUBU - December 20, 2017 at 9:24 am
RE: How to answer "I know that I know that I know"? - by Aoi Magi - December 20, 2017 at 9:51 am
RE: How to answer "I know that I know that I know"? - by shadow - December 20, 2017 at 12:33 pm