Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I picked up this months Nat Geo last night...
I picked up this months Nat Geo last night...
Because of its cover "the real Jesus: What archaeology reveals about his life".  I was curious how the article's author was going to spin the utter lack of any evidence for a historical Jesus or even a christianity before the 2nd cent CE.

And I wasn't disappointed Ms Kristin Romey, the author, conludes (though given from the first word she's assuming her answer, I'm loath to call it a conclusion) based on the findings of jewish archaeology in the majority jewish area of Gallilee and priests at these sites excitedly telling her "this is proof of Jesus".

Her dismissal of the increaingly well evidenced mysticist position is a couple of sentences from Eric Meyers of Duke and Byron McCane of Florida Atlantic, giving no context as to their expertise, credentials or why they were saying what they were saying.

The one redeeming feature of her article is that it reeks of desperation throughout, making unwarranted assertions throughout (excavations of a town at a place now known as Magdala proves Mary of Magdalene exists, Jesus being called Jesus of Nazareth proves he exists because three centuries later a town of Nazareth existed). Its as if she knows her position is untenable yet is unwilling to abandon it.

Her last sentence is indicative of her postion: "But for true believers, their faith in the life, death and resurrection of the son of god [capitalisations in original removed] will be evidence enough". Like the deluded pilgrims Ms Romey will stick to her myhology no matter how conclusively it is disproven.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
I picked up this months Nat Geo last night... - by GUBU - December 22, 2017 at 7:43 am
RE: I picked up this months Nat Geo last night... - by GUBU - December 22, 2017 at 11:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As Predictable As Day Following Night Minimalist 13 716 November 15, 2018 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  So, late last night, Minimalist 2 1010 August 8, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist