Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know?
RE: Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know?
(June 23, 2018 at 12:24 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: The purpose of this thread is to examine the value of faith or (at the very least) to explore its relation to true knowledge. Be forewarned, the OP goes into some boilerplate ancient Greek philosophy, so if that isn't your thing, I would recommend not reading past the next paragraph. But I will try to convey the gist of things in the first two paragraphs, so if you have a response to what is said in there, feel free to ignore the rest.

So let's ask ourselves: "What is genuine knowledge?" or "Who is the person who can best  receive real knowledge?"  Is it the faithful? Or is it the skeptical? I say the latter. And so does Plato. Let's take a look at four types of people: the knowledgeable, the philosophers, the ignorant, and the misunderstanding.

1) The knowledgeable-- (or the "knowing") these people have correct knowledge, and they know that the knowledge that they have is correct.
2) The philosophers-- do not have correct knowledge, and if they do have correct knowledge, they don't know that it's correct. They understand Socrates when he says, "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." They are empty vessels, waiting to be filled, or better yet... as Plutarch puts it... fires waiting to be ignited.
3) The ignorant-- They do not have knowledge, but nor do they want it. They don't know it. Nor do they pursue knowledge. Some of my favorite people fall into this category.
4) The misunderstanding-- These people have false knowledge. Though they mistake it for real knowledge. But they are very certain of their false knowledge.

To me, faith makes one prone to fall into the category of "the misunderstanding"... those who do not know, but think that they DO know. Those who misunderstand are worse than the ignorant, in my opinion. To think the wrong answer is correct is worse than simply admitting one does not know at all. It is better to be ignorant than mistaken, that is what I think.

Knowledge is a belief that is true because there are good reasons to think it is true.  
Faith is a belief based on confidences (warranted or unwarranted) that some state of affairs is correct. 
Everybody has plenty of both categories of belief.

When you say "So let's ask ourselves: "What is genuine knowledge?" or "Who is the person who can best receive real knowledge?"  Is it the faithful? Or is it the skeptical? I say the latter." you are making a category error. Beliefs fall in two categories but you think somehow having faith in one set of propositions somehow affects the ability to distinguish between the two categories. I don't think you can come close to making that case.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? - by SteveII - July 2, 2018 at 11:29 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Plato Thread vulcanlogician 27 1939 November 10, 2021 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6842 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Street Epistemology LadyForCamus 10 1181 October 28, 2018 at 2:35 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  How do we know what we know? Aegon 15 1961 October 22, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2101 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Tropes'R'us - do movie tropes influence our way of thinking Alex K 18 2754 February 14, 2017 at 7:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Symbolic Death and My Second Crisis of Faith InquiringMind 13 2667 September 21, 2016 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: InquiringMind
  Is there a right way to romantically connect with others? Kernel Sohcahtoa 32 4345 September 14, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Faith and achievement bennyboy 76 8197 August 17, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? Ignorant 69 8070 May 26, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis