Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn
(January 13, 2019 at 2:49 pm)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: When I tell my dad I thought I failed a certain exam, he exploded. He told me that I'm not serious, I don't try enough. He told me that he and my mom make efforts so I can study. He had a long speech.
Why doesn't he realize he makes things worse? The time I use to listen to his speech is time I could use for learning. Not to mention it also takes time for me to calm down after said speech. 
Why does he tell me I don't try enough? I really try my best, I really do. There is a lot of work and I'm struggling to keep up with it. I also do have some emotional problems, which I didn't tell him or mom, but still. I have a lot of mood swings and when I'm feeling down It's hard for me to concentrate while learning. I figured out it would be best to take some time to calm down and then continue learning, but even then I lose some time. What should I do if I get mood swings during an exam? It never happened before. I have a therapy appointment, but it's only after the end of the semester and I still have 4 exams to go.
He also told me that one day he might get really pissed and make me change universities. And that if I don't learn might as well get a job. I don't know if he really means it, or just trying to scare me.
If I try to talk to him he won't listen.

I'm assuming your parents are paying for your school? If so it not hard to see why they're so invested in how you do, because nobody wants to pay for you to retake a course, etc.. Trying to find a balance between sympathy and frustration here for them is likely difficult.

I would suggest finding ways to make it more your financial burden than theirs, applying for student and private loans, grantsand scholarship, work study, etc..

That way the cost of your failures are carried more so by yourself than them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Losty - January 13, 2019 at 3:10 pm
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by brewer - January 13, 2019 at 3:59 pm
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Aoi Magi - January 14, 2019 at 12:33 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Brian37 - January 14, 2019 at 3:25 pm
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Aoi Magi - January 15, 2019 at 7:25 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Aoi Magi - January 15, 2019 at 3:41 pm
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Aoi Magi - January 16, 2019 at 5:51 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Brian37 - January 14, 2019 at 7:29 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Acrobat - January 14, 2019 at 8:48 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Brian37 - January 14, 2019 at 9:52 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Acrobat - January 14, 2019 at 10:36 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Brian37 - January 14, 2019 at 10:42 am
RE: I hate how my dad "encourages" me to learn - by Acrobat - January 14, 2019 at 10:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm kinda the victim of an anti-white hate crime in my real neighbourhood Duty 20 2419 April 17, 2021 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  I strongly doubt that I love my dad Der/die AtheistIn 14 1189 April 3, 2019 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama