Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distribution of numbers in the multiplication table
RE: Distribution of numbers in the multiplication table
(June 9, 2020 at 1:49 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
polymath257 Wrote:The corresponding distribution function is -ln(t).
I am not sure what you mean. Distribution function has to be bound by 0 and 1, right? While -ln(1)=0, -ln(0)=infinity.
Besides, -ln(t) would be a homogenous function, always falling. The distribution of numbers in the multiplication table has short intervals of growth (that my web-app draws red).

I went for the derivative, which is the density function. The distribution function you are thinking of will be t(1-ln(t)). At t=0, the logarithm goes to -infty, but at a rate which makes the product go to 0.

The growth that you see in the tables is because of the granularity (large percentage jump between the numbers you use). In the limit, that goes away.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Distribution of numbers in the multiplication table - by polymath257 - June 9, 2020 at 7:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Euclid proved that there are an infinite number of prime numbers. Jehanne 7 916 March 14, 2021 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Are Numbers Real? vulcanlogician 67 6555 October 22, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Magilla
  Mathematician Claims Proof of Connection between Prime Numbers KichigaiNeko 10 7154 September 26, 2012 at 3:18 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves