Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX
I had a department store ten speed.  Hand breaks on the handlebars and a gear shift between them, a knockoff of the classic Schwinn.  In the summer of 1973, I would leave the house on it around 10 AM and ride the 2 miles to town.  I would roam around, play pinball at Jack's, flirt with mischief, then line up with the other paper boys to roll and throw my route.  84 papers on the good side of town.  I was lucky to have that.

One day, riding home in the evening, I pedaled to top speed just for fun.  Flying down Patmos Road, I came to my turn.  I reached for the break.  As I squeezed, the break came loose from the handlebar.  It fell and lodged in the metal spokes, the cable quickly wrapping around the forks.  The bike instantly stopped, or least the front half did.  I flew over the handlebars, or at least my top half did.  My legs hit the handlebars.  The gear shift skewered my nuts.  My right shoulder hit the pavement.  I slid on it a ways then rolled over.  The back half of the bike landed on my nuts.

I crawled to the ditch and began breathing again.  I sat in disbelief.  What just happened and how?  How am going to get the bike home?  How am I going to walk the last 50 yards with a grated shoulder and skewered nuts?  Bill, the neighbor kid, came out and helped me.  He was my age.  We had a difficult relationship.  He could be a real prick, start picking at me, and we'd fight.  That day, he was nice, my friend.  It was the bike that beat the shit out of me.

Messages In This Thread
I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Brian37 - April 20, 2021 at 7:52 am
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Ranjr - April 20, 2021 at 9:24 am
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Brian37 - April 21, 2021 at 11:12 am
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Brian37 - April 21, 2021 at 11:39 am
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by brewer - April 21, 2021 at 2:31 pm
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Brian37 - April 21, 2021 at 3:31 pm
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Brian37 - April 22, 2021 at 10:29 am
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by brewer - April 20, 2021 at 12:43 pm
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Ranjr - April 21, 2021 at 4:49 pm
RE: I got a Ross with spokes, instead of BMX - by Reforged - April 22, 2021 at 10:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bach'ing it. (Bachelor meals). Whatcha got? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1642 November 1, 2023 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Wink Just got hitched Aoi Magi 11 757 January 27, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: LastPoet