Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness
Our own wellbeing may be more important than the well being of others in some situations...and especially when considering our desire to pursue others wellbeing. If I found 100k in a buried chest when I was digging a ditch..sure, I could donate it all to charity and be done with it. Or I could use it to pay my bills and produce dividends...those dividends might be larger than the initial charitable act, and not by a little, by a lot.

The same thing plays out with apes and honeycombs. The finder satisfies themselves - incentivizing future finds and ensuring that the finder is well supplied to continue searching - the rest distributed along a fairly simple pattern of kinship. The overall effect of this can't be said to damage the group, even though selfish motivations and their attendant behaviors are replete throughout, in every participant. Some of our ideas of commerce and markets are a more elaborate form of what I think is the same behavior. The idea that selfish interests in competition produce dividends greater than the immediate product of those behaviors. If it's wrong, it's probably not wrong on the numbers. Still, we want bad intentions to somehow reduce to poor decisions, so we look for ways to say that what is bad is also inaccurate.

A person may accurately judge their own wellbeing to be worth more in a given scenario and for any number of reasons - but it's likely that we'd still feel they'd fucked it up in some way.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 5:01 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 5:12 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 11:30 pm
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 26, 2021 at 5:36 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 6:41 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 26, 2021 at 7:16 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 27, 2021 at 2:03 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by Duty - September 27, 2021 at 2:14 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by The Grand Nudger - September 27, 2021 at 11:16 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 28, 2021 at 3:53 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 29, 2021 at 4:23 am
RE: The Mathematical Error of Prevailing Selfishness - by DLJ - September 29, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Category Error of Scientism Neo-Scholastic 55 10641 February 2, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda