Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(July 6, 2023 at 4:54 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: (1) Peebothuhlu, ok, I understand your perspective.

(2) I may not agree with it but I understand it.

(3) You are an Atheist. You believe in Aliens.

(4) You say, because life exists here, it may exist elsewhere also. That's fine and I understand. Whether you believe in Panspermia or not is a separate issue. You said you don't. I also don't. Some do. Articles have been written about it. As for the possibility of extra-terrestrial life, created by God, existing somewhere else in the Universe, I don't exclude it altogether.

(5) The point here is that only, even were all of that true, a First Cause would still exist, based on pure mathematics. You can never show that a B1, a First Being does not exist, unless you posit an Infinite Number of Beings. And because an Infinite Number of Beings cannot exist, therefore, a First Being exists, and being the first, He is not contingent on a prior being.

(1) Yay... but then I read on.

(2) What is not to agree with in my line of thought? We exist on a planet. There is evident life on this planet. We have actual detections of other planets in a myriad of shapes and stages of development. What precludes life from possibly being on other planets?

(3) No. I identify as a 'Non-theist'. To clarify, "I see nothing to indicate ANY supernatural exists." Hence, once the supernatural is demonstrated, we can move on to examining other claims related to such.

(4) 'Panspermia' never entered into my post. Also, that articles have been written about a great many things is both awesome and not really pertaining currently to our conversation.

(5) So, firstly, I have no problems or issues with 'Infinite Regress' in its many presentations/iterations. I find nothing illogical or contradictory about such a concept. Secondly, your post has already smuggled in a 'Being' simply by your word usage. You post 'A starting point'; must exist somewhere back there. I see no such need. At this point, I think our minds-sets are 'Potatoe/Tomato."

Glad our conversation is moving forwards, and am also glad I didn't buy a lottery ticket. Wink

Cheers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by Peebothuhlu - July 6, 2023 at 5:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 6908 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 15368 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 5594 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3084 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil