Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The oddest question you have (probably) heard today.
RE: The oddest question you have (probably) heard today.
Inhuman in what way? If you mean another species, I would say no. I would think it would take more than a virus, which really alters cells more than our genetic makeup, to make a person able to produce the spawn of another species. Besides, most viruses that can alter a person drastically are more harmful to fetuses than to the person who bears them. For example, hemorrhagic fevers produced by some viruses cause spontaneous abortion. They also pass the virus on to the fetus. It just seems to me that anything that could genetically alter a fetus to the point of it being another species would do the same to the mother simultaneously. That being said, I don't think DNA can be altered that drastically, that quickly and I also think something like that would have devastating consequences. You can't make a person a horse without it being a horribly gory occurrence, if you could do it at all.

Of course, you may not have meant that at all. Sorry for the spiel.

Oh, and viruses are quite simple, which is why they are so dangerous. They replicate themselves and destroy their hosts by replacing host cells with virus cells, essentially. I cannot imagine one like that which you describe. It just doesn't fit the virus picture.
(September 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm)Aegrus Wrote: I ask about fetuses because it seems to me that an adult infected by this virus could simply die due to the immense changes- whereas a fetus might develope along new lines.

Oh, and this in itself answers your question. Immense changes that kill the mother will also kill the child. Without a womb, the fetus cannot survive. Even if the mother was infected at the last minute, the idea would not work. The child would not have had time to change in the womb. Honestly, even a layperson like myself could think of many reasons why this isn't likely. I am sure a professional would find the idea laughable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The oddest question you have (probably) heard today. - by Shell B - September 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Marilyn vos Savant punt today ? vorlon13 11 2409 August 29, 2017 at 12:38 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Holes in heard immunity. brewer 2 559 May 16, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Most of you probably knew or suspected this. brewer 5 1059 January 5, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: robvalue