Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Marilyn vos Savant punt today ?
Did Marilyn vos Savant punt today ?
Someone wrote in asking if continued consumption of bleu cheese might make them resistant to (antibiotic) penicillin.

Marilyn notes the variety of mold for one is not the variety used for the other, although she notes if one is allergic to one, they might be allergic to the other.

Your vorlon, however, would remark that unless it was a raging case of venereal disease that wrote in (and also noshes on the moldy cheese of bleu) asking the question, a HUMAN BEING isn't going to become resistant to penicillin regardless, it being the disease organisms (such as the venereal variety I just noted) that develop resistance.

So, for me being a sparky type with some space experience, how am I doing in a biology question today ??

Blush
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Did Marilyn vos Savant punt today ?
Savant still writes a column? Wow.

So I'm stupid, but can a person be allergic to penicillin?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Mayo says yes. 
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 28, 2017 at 10:28 am)Nymphadora Wrote: So I'm stupid, but can a person  be allergic to penicillin?

Yup, my ex-wife is.
Well okay then. I wasn't quite sure of the point of this thread. Figured I'd ask.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I wasn't completely sure, so it was good for me to look that up. Had a hunch it was, but I don't know much about penicillin.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
All I know is I heard you can make penicillin by leaving a pizza out to sit for hours and hours lol. Don't know how true that is, but it's gross nonetheless.
Wow. That's alarming. Up until last year, maybe, I'd order pizza from Papa John's 3x/wk.
Pizza is ok if you eat it while it's hot.
It's once it drops under about 65 degrees that bacteria starts to multiply at an exponential rate. (Look up HACCP).
There's always going to be bacteria but the aim is to have as least as possible.
Penicillin is only one type of mould. There are a lot.
I think black mould is the most dangerous and you find this a lot in damp places in homes.
It releases toxins in its spores and is dangerous for respiratory system.
You can't get rid of it but it can be effectively managed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The oddest question you have (probably) heard today. Aegrus 12 3684 September 24, 2011 at 4:12 am
Last Post: ReB