Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your creativity and skills are being murderd
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd
(November 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm)Fryslân Wrote:
(November 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm)Annik Wrote: There is a concept I learned from a mentor of mine a few years ago. This article explains it better than I could. Apply the same thing to education by imagining how much easier it would be (and how much simpler the solutions would be) to have people who have a varied background working to solve a problem. If each of them have only focused on one field without going indepth with any others, they would all be at a disadvantage. Not only does having a varied educational background give you a common "language" in order to communicate and understand different concepts, but it opens your eyes to new, more creative ways to solve problems in everyday life and in the feild you're interested in.

Another example: I hated working in InDesign. It was confusing and complicated and I didn't understand it after first. However, it is the most efficient tool for creating print layout and booklets. I could do page by page in Illustrator or Photoshop, but it would decrease the quality of work and take me a lot longer. It was better for me to bite the bullet and learn InDesign and I'm a much better, varied designer for having done so.

Dear mother of fuck you're impossible. Who said anything about focussing on ONE thing. I'm talking about THINGS. Read my other examples. One thing/subject will lead to another, and then another and then some. Eventually I believe you will know enough to function perfectly in a sociaty. So you won't know just one thing.
You might be interested in many things, but you'll have holes in your education. I used one thing to simplify the argument. Just to clarify, what age did you get this grade report?

Quote:
(November 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm)Annik Wrote: I made a hobby into a career, so I'd examine your interests and see how you could make money from it.

contradictory
How so?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

Messages In This Thread
Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Fryslân - November 8, 2012 at 8:09 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by jonb - November 8, 2012 at 8:27 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Violet - November 9, 2012 at 2:58 am
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 9:25 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 9, 2012 at 12:35 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Annik - November 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Darth - November 9, 2012 at 1:04 am
RE: Your creativity and skills are being murderd - by Rayaan - November 9, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best response to "You are being too bookish and nerdy!"? FlatAssembler 25 3254 April 5, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4169 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 47808 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves