Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
(February 13, 2014 at 6:59 am)Tonus Wrote: I am pointing out that crippling our freedom with "sin" is a bad deal.

The only way to remove it would be to remove freedom of will.

Quote: You keep pretending that I am saying that freedom is bad. I am pointing out that crippling freedom with "sin" and with a plan that punishes the full use of freedom is bad. You keep pretending that I am saying that freedom is bad.

The whole entire idea is that God doesn't punish you for your sin, it doesn't matter how big a sin we're talking about. The offer is 100% forgiveness guaranteed.

Quote:We could have done this without being made sinful by nature, if god wasn't so bad at his job and too proud to recognize it.

The only way to do that is to remove our freewill.

Quote:This can only be true if god is incompetent. If he cannot envision a scenario where freedom to choose does not require us to be forced to commit sin, he is inept. The fact that "his creation" can see the alternatives that he could not is strong evidence that he is made up.

You have freewill, you have sin as a consequence and you have forgiveness from sin.

Quote:You said that without sin, god's plan would be irrelevant, and that we cannot help but to sin. That is not freedom. The choice is forced, by design.

If we had no freewill to decide between good and evil and nothing particularly good or worthwhile to do then it would be an irrelevance.

Quote:That is a truly horrifying "plan," and I think that the only reason you accept it as "good" is because you have to, otherwise you are forced to undermine what you believe in. Your god is painfully limited. He cannot seem to create a world where people can live freely without constantly offending his sensibilities, a flaw that he blames on us and then offers to remove for a price (or make even worse if we refuse to pay!). The concept is just bizarre, and if you didn't have to try to make sense of the ignorant ramblings of an ancient tribe of simple people, you might just realize that.

Ok so you're not really listening to a single word of any of it fair enough.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? - by Sword of Christ - February 13, 2014 at 7:44 am
RE: How can a Christian reject - by Minimalist - February 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm
RE: - by Fake Messiah - October 25, 2016 at 3:23 pm
RE: How can a Christian reject... - by FallentoReason - October 26, 2016 at 12:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2014 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 19143 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44153 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8362 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1486 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4628 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8544 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5623 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  William Lane Craig's drunken phone call. Jehanne 3 1237 January 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27903 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb