Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
(March 12, 2014 at 2:23 pm)professor Wrote: Deidre asked a question about the Islamic (the name means "Submission") book.
Without a doubt it is inspired. But just not by the one who inspired the Bible.

Another thing, the Inquisition was perpetrated by totalitarians calling themselves "Christians" while murdering real Christians.
You see, when the devil realized he couldn't kill Christianity by persecution- he undermined it by installing false Christianity in his government at the time.
That situation began to be reversed when the printing press was applied to the Bible and the people were able to by pass the evil priesthood by actually reading the text themselves.
Do you really think that is a valid point? The people perpetrating the Inquisition and the Crusades weren't real Christians? What is a 'real Christian,' because if it is a person who believes what most people believe about the Bible today, then you're in for a big surprise. Awfully convenient how you can scrub off millenia of bigotry, misogyny, and racism just by saying those weren't real Christians. The Americans perpetrating racism and segregation in the South 50 years ago weren't real Christians either, were they? And todays homophobic bigots won't be real Christians in 30 years either, will they?

(March 12, 2014 at 2:23 pm)professor Wrote: I also wonder which place devoid of Christian influence you guys would prefer to live?
How about Saudi Arabia or any other Muslim country?
How about the atheistic nation of China?
Oh yeah, would you like to try India?
People tend to vote with their feet.
Why is that?
You are kidding me with this, right? Your implied correlation of the success of this country because of it's "Christianity" is baseless. There is, however, a correlation between the secularity of a country, and it's STEM scores in relation to other countries. See Sweden and Japan, for example.
There are other factors that guide people's "feet," anyhow. Given that it costs money for people to up and leave the country they were born in, given that people are reluctant to leave all the people in their support network, given that moving to a new country often requires one to learn a new language, new customs, get a new job, buy a new house. I don't choose to stay in America because I dislike other countries, I choose to stay here because everything I know is here. ETA: And 'Murica is, for the most part, awesome despite the religotards here.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Messages In This Thread
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels - by SteelCurtain - March 12, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 295 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2066 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3859 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13088 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3422 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25115 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8656 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Totally Agree! Minimalist 11 1845 December 22, 2016 at 4:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9810 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 20244 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich