Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
(March 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm)ronedee Wrote: You are looking at it from a human perspective.
That's kinda my point. We cannot "look at it" from any other perspective. And if we place god's perspective out of reach, then we are at a stalemate. Until such time as I agree that he is there, you can simply tell me I am not focusing properly while guaranteeing me that I'm sooo close.
Quote:In the face of everything I've learned about God and my Faith.... I've failed at times. But, God hasn't abandoned me. Ever! Just like He hasn't abandoned you either Tonus. I see your heart! Keep searching brother. I'll pray that He reveals Himself in a good way to you. If there is even a glimmer of hope in you to find God.... try to at least be open. Just for a time. Peace
I think that if there is a god and he is proving this difficult to locate, yet he is intensely concerned with my welfare, then at some point he'll tap me on the shoulder and we'll have a chat. When Jesus was admonishing the pharisees for their slavish attention to the law, he told them that god wanted "mercy, not sacrifices." Which means that god is more interested in the sort of person we become, and not in whether or not we can train ourselves to slavishly follow rules like rats in a maze.

If that is the case, then he will feel a sense of obligation towards people like me, who served him devoutly and lived the life he commanded me to live and then sought him out only to come up empty. That's cruel. If he's not cruel, he'll be straight with me when the time comes to settle up. If he is cruel, then at least I got to play some Diablo III and enjoy the occasional wank before things all went to shit.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels - by Tonus - March 12, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 295 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2067 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3860 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13091 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3422 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25117 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8656 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Totally Agree! Minimalist 11 1846 December 22, 2016 at 4:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9810 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 20247 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich