Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
(May 17, 2014 at 8:36 pm)rasetsu Wrote: You never did answer the man's question. Who are you to say what is the proper understanding of Siddhartha's teachings?

"Very often, they ask the question, “Is homosexuality breaking the 5 precepts?” Particularly, this concerns the 3rd precept, which concerns sexual misconduct. However, the studies of Buddhist meaning of the term sexual misconduct certainly does not include homosexual activities." ~ Ajahn Brahmavamso Mahathera

Apparently he didn't clear it with the head of Tibetan Buddhism.

Is the fact that you can dredge up "gay friendly" Buddhists supposed to impress me? It doesn't change the fundamental two-facedness of the Dalai Lama.

He just sucks westerners' cock, because it's useful to him to do so.

Who am I? No one, but common sense and study into the teachings opens up the answer. What did buddha say?

He taught about acceptance, among many other things. So is it a stretch to say that he would be okay with same-sex?

Well history tells you

Quote:Theravada Buddhist countries like Sri Lanka and Burma had no legal statutes against homosexuality between consenting adults until the colonial era when they were introduced by the British. Thailand, which had no colonial experience, still has no such laws. This had led some Western homosexuals to believe that homosexuality is quite accepted in Buddhist countries of South and South-east Asia. This is certainly not true. In such countries, when homosexuals are thought of at all, it is more likely to be in a good-humored way or with a degree of pity. Certainly the loathing, fear and hatred that the Western homosexual has so often had to endure is absent and this is due, to a very large degree, to Buddhism's humane and tolerant influence.

I think your understanding of the 5 Precepts are lacking.

Sorry to throw water on it, but

Quote:"Sexual misconduct" has thus traditionally been interpreted to include actions like coercive sex, sexual harassment, child molestation and adultery. As Homosexuality is not explicitly mentioned in any of the Buddha's sayings recorded in the Pali Canon (Tripitaka), most interpreters have taken this to mean that homosexuality should be evaluated in the same way as heterosexuality, in accordance with the above principles.

Wait what else did the Buddha teach: Compassion.

You can dig up as much anti-gay smudge as you wish but the the Dalai Lama himself stated that it was okay, in person.

Who's word are you following to meet your agenda?

The Dalai Lama

The Buddha talked about compassion, and accepting others. "The reason we judge others is because we judge ourselves"

You will argue this until you have won your agenda. He said what he said, he stands where he stands, you either accept it or you don't but saying he is against it when he has stated otherwise will get you no where.

As a side note, those whom support your side, will continue.

Quote:question the truth and consequences of all traditional
teachings

It sounds as if you have anger towards either gays or buddhists. It isn't clear what side your on. It really does not matter.

Who am I? I am The BlackSwordsman.

Quote:Be a lamp unto yourself

-Buddha

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist - by BlackSwordsman - May 17, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am a Christian Atheist... what? Help. Tucker 23 4034 May 3, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: urlawyer
  Christian Everything -> Atheist Faber 3 1401 June 4, 2014 at 9:47 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello I'm a Christian...Atheist... what. NeuerMensch 22 6597 January 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Christian to wiccan to new age to atheist k2490 12 4830 October 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Christian->Budhist->Atheist yuriythebest 6 2724 August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist