Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our morality?
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our mor...
(June 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:
(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: That's your claim. You need to logically support this claim, otherwise it can and will continue to be dismissed out of hand.

Negative claims do not have the burden of proof so I do not have to support anything. However, you’ve supported it for me by being incapable of defining any particular act as good or evil without appealing to the existence of YHWH. Thanks again.

You haven't proved YHWH even exists, confirm that I don't except claims lacking evidence, and you expect me to accept "GodDidIt" as an explanation? Did your parents have children that lived?

What's the method of God transmitting morals to man? How do we grasp morality simply because God does? Why can we deem actions performed by God immoral if God is our only source of morality? Why does morality vary between people if God is unchanging? Why does moral consensus differ from the time the bible was written if God is unchanging?

You pretend to have presented anything of value, but the only thing you've presented is "God Did It, duh!" and then paragraphs of scream-crying about how no one has presented a better argument.

An argument from willfully maintained ignorance does not support your assertion that "God is the source of morality."

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Are you capable of presenting an argument to support this?

Whether or not I can is irrelevant because I am not required to do so; negative claims my child…negative claims. I do not have to support the claim that morality cannot exist without God any more than I have to support the claim that pigs cannot naturally fly.

Translation: You confirm aren't capable of presenting an argument to support your claims, and only by straw manning and questioning proven facts can you maintain the illusion that you've advanced even the most rudimentary argument.

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Hint: "Nuuuuh but you dunno whar yur moral come frum an um a geddum frum mah bible" is not good enough.

Tell us how a system of morality can exist in a purely material Universe; I am still waiting for you to support your claim that it is possible. Tell me how a pig can naturally fly.

I have, repeatedly, and you return to garbage about flying pigs. It's not my job to educate the willfully ignorant, go google it, and if you can't support your claims, stop making them.

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Social principles beneficial to a tribal animal.

…and you have already been told that this is a descriptive observation of behavior, since it is descriptive in nature it cannot be used to derive a normative system of behavior which is what morality is; so you fail. Can you explain how morality can exist in a purely material universe in a manner that is not illogical?

Argument from personal incredulity, deliberate straw manning, lying about what has been presented to you. And yet you claim to have a better grasp on morality than anyone else.

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Evolved empathy.

This in no way demonstrates that humans ought to feel empathy so you have not even begun to deal with morality yet. Humans evolved the ability to kill, rape, enslave steal, lust, and lie as well. Tell us how you know that humans ought to perform any of these evolved behaviors but not all evolved behaviors.

Well they did, so my advice to you would be to find a 2x4, cut a 4' section off it, and slam it into the back of your head until it aligns the neurons in your brain are aligned properly enough that you can understand observed facts are true whether or not you believe they "ought" to be, no matter how incredulous it makes you.

(June 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: P1 Any behavior that is evolved is morally good.
P2 Rape is an evolved behavior
C. Therefore rape is morally good.

Does anyone believe this is a logically defensible definition of morality? Really?

You're completely ignoring empathy to straw-man and misrepresent what I just said to you. Not surprising: you don't seem to possess any without a list of instructions. You should check yourself into a psych ward before you hurt someone.

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Both are displayed in other nonhuman species.

Other non-human species rape, kill, and steal as well. Are these therefore morally good behaviors?

Christians rape, kill and steal. Are these therefore morally good behaviors?

(June 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: You claim these must come from God in humans, but have yet to tell us why you believe this, and support it with a compelling argument backed by evidence.

No, I am saying that in a purely material universe it is impossible to define any act as good or evil. Your argument above supports this beautifully since it can be used to define any evolved act as morally good. That’s even ignoring the fact that you’re committing the naturalistic fallacy by appealing to descriptive claims about nature in order to try and derive a normative system of behavior. It’s like we are a team, I make a claim and then you help support it for me.

Once again: The depth of your stupidity is absolutely astounding. How do you survive? Does it hurt? Do you often find yourself drooling while staring at a fixed point on a wall?

I appeal to observed scientific facts and research, and you call that a fallacy because it does not involve your invisible unprovable friend?

(June 10, 2014 at 6:45 pm)Tonus Wrote: Theft, for example, is something that I would not want to have happen to me. Therefore I can reason that it is wrong to take something that belongs to another based on that.

You lost me, how did you get from “I do not want this done to me” to “therefore it is morally wrong”?

If you genuinely aren't capable of understanding how, I'm serious: you need to check yourself in to a psych ward before you hurt someone. You are showing very clear warning signs of psychopathy.

Messages In This Thread
What I say is - by Zidneya - May 12, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Reply to Statler Waldorf - by CharnelRC - May 14, 2014 at 5:30 am
RE: what are we supposed... - by Statler Waldorf - May 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm
RE: what are we supposed - by Statler Waldorf - June 3, 2014 at 7:31 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by Statler Waldorf - June 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by Statler Waldorf - June 6, 2014 at 4:59 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say again - by Zack - June 11, 2014 at 3:46 pm
RE: what are we supposed to - by Statler Waldorf - June 16, 2014 at 7:13 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say - by CindysRain - June 20, 2014 at 6:23 pm
what are we supposed to say again when christians ask us where we get our mor... - by Rampant.A.I. - June 21, 2014 at 1:16 pm
RE: what are we supposed to say... - by naimless - June 26, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1300 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Morality Kingpin 101 5859 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1474 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6599 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 9099 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2388 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Morality Agnostico 337 37165 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11487 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4228 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23751 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1