Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 3:24 am

Poll: Would you switch(and why)?
This poll is closed.
Yes
81.82%
9 81.82%
No
9.09%
1 9.09%
I don't know.
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem
RE: The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem
(March 14, 2016 at 12:02 am)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 12:20 am)Chas Wrote: You are admitting, even bragging about, being ignorant. 

I suggest you study probability because you really do not understand it.

What is ironic is that when this first appeared in some Sunday newspaper insert a number of math professors wrote in to respond to the columnist precisely as you did EP.  However they scolded her because they agreed with EP -incorrectly of course.  They suggested she purchase a basic textbook on probability and study it so that she would come to understand that switching would not help, since the probability was 'obviously' 1/2 that either remaining door had the big prize.  

The intuition that the odds are 50 to 50 that your original choice was correct (once a wrong choice is revealed) is very powerful.  It arises because of a bad analysis resulting from failing to take proper account of the significance of that wrong choice.  The probability when the wrong choice is revealed does not alter the probability you had at the outset.  I also was flummoxed when I first heard of the problem but also intrigued of course.

A similar problem which probably won't (but might) help is the three domino problem.  One has an X on both sides, one has an O on both sides and one has one X and one O on opposite sides.  You draw one domino from the bag and hold it facing you and see an X.  What is the probability that there is also an X on the other side?

The wrong analysis goes:  

There are two dominos I could be holding, the X-X or the X-O.
So the probability that there is an X on the other side is 1/2.

But the correct analysis is:

I could be looking at one of three X's.
There is another X on the back of two of those X's and an O on the back of the third one.
So the probability is 2/3 that there is an X on the other side.

It took me three reads to get this because you aren't describing dominos.  Dominos have  uniformly patterned backs like cards. Their faces have two different numbers or sets of dots on either side.  But you see the whole face. There are no xes.

But if you have slips of paper with x's or o's on either side it would work.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Probability? - by TheRealJoeFish - March 8, 2016 at 7:53 pm
RE: Probability? - by Excited Penguin - March 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
RE: Probability? - by TheRealJoeFish - March 8, 2016 at 8:06 pm
RE: The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem - by Jenny A - March 14, 2016 at 12:21 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Solving a system of two trigonometric equations FlatAssembler 20 1821 August 9, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What's the probability that 3 out of 23 people will share the same birthday? FlatAssembler 28 3398 February 16, 2022 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Improving problem solving. RozKek 17 3824 January 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation GrandizerII 56 8440 October 31, 2016 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Frog probability Aractus 17 3796 April 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Probability question: names in hats robvalue 78 10351 March 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: emjay
  The Monty Hall problem Marsellus Wallace 11 3973 April 13, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The Monty Hall problem. Tiberius 47 16257 February 26, 2013 at 11:48 am
Last Post: PyroManiac
  Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems. leo-rcc 12 5764 March 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: tavarish
  The probability of the accuracy of probability itself? Etc. Edwardo Piet 15 6352 February 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot