Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems.
Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_3722540.html?menu=

A Russian said to be the world's cleverest man has turned down a $1 million prize for solving one of mathematics' toughest puzzles.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems.
He also seems to be the world's most modest and humble man. Refusing the Fields medal? Holy crap. That thing is only awarded every 4 years...

"I have all I want."
RE: Man refuses a check for a million for solving one of the hardest math problems.
Amazing
This news is 4 years old, but I do remember reading about him in a national newspaper. The guy seems freakishly autistic but he is no doubt a genius, and humble with that !
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Yeah, I remember this. This is old news unless he rejected another offer. I can't remember the details of the major mathematical problem he solved. The problem had something to do with turning a donut inside out. You could at least have written about the problem he solved.
(March 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: The problem had something to do with turning a donut inside out. You could at least have written about the problem he solved.

How the hell is that even remotely possible? 0.o <--Genuine interest Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Yeah, I remember this. This is old news unless he rejected another offer.

Perelman was awarded the Millennium Prize on 18 March, 2010.

Quote: I can't remember the details of the major mathematical problem he solved. The problem had something to do with turning a donut inside out. You could at least have written about the problem he solved.

You're right I could have, but I felt too sick to do any more than copy-paste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincar%C3%A9_conjecture
There you go, that is the math problem.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
He has yet to say if he accepts or declines the 1 million dollars.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/science/21award.html

"Will Dr. Perelman accept? 'He will let me know in due time,' Dr. Carlson wrote in an e-mail message, acknowledging that they had been in touch. He declined to provide more details."
I think I recall a news article from a few years back, when he won the Fields medal.

He said he refused it because if he accepted it, he'd be vindicating or supporting the organization in some manner. Why he doesn't want to have anything to do with them is because for several years before, they put out publications basically claiming his method was a fraud, impossible, etc,. Only after exhaustive review did they actually award him for truly solving it.

Still, I understand his vitriol and wish for privacy. It'd be nice for them to leave him be.
All Psychics are like this dude, that's why Randi's million dollar challenge never gets won.

True story.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3345 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Solving a system of two trigonometric equations FlatAssembler 20 1683 August 9, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5402 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1036 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6981 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1913 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13773 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 6004 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Improving problem solving. RozKek 17 3695 January 10, 2017 at 9:51 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Dividing by variable when solving algebraic equation GrandizerII 56 8187 October 31, 2016 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa