Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God
Quote:As is evident from many of the comments, few have bothered to actually read the post before commenting. I have summarized it below for anyone who is unwilling to wade through its jargon.

A brief summary of the POTV as presented by TheMuslim:-
- Something is real.
- It is impossible for nothing to be real (in the event that this statement is denied, there is something that denies it and is real). If this statement can never be denied, it will always be true.
- For this statement to be always true, something must always exist.
- Finite, conditional beings exist within boundaries, beyond which they are nonexistent.
- As such, something that is infinite, or not conditional, must exist.

TheMuslim believes that this demonstrates the existence of a deity.

As I have elaborated in my previous post, I find your summaries a bit inaccurate (and/or misleading).

Here, I myself made a concise summary of the DOTV (yes, I’m taking the risk of slightly losing the original deliverance of meaning):

- Primary proposition: “There is a reality” (i.e. at least something exists).
- The primary proposition must be and will always be true unconditionally.
You can’t deny this in any condition because conditions are themselves realities – and thus attest to the primary proposition’s truth. In other words, if someone claims “there is no reality” (i.e. "nothing is real"), that claim itself - if taken to be true - implies that there is a reality; the purported fact that "nothing exists" would itself be a reality, and hence there would indeed still be a reality (in the form of there not being a reality).
- Finite beings exist only within certain conditions, outside of which they don't exist. For the primary proposition to always be true unconditionally (which we have shown to be the case), something other than finite beings must exist.
Propositions that narrate the reality of finite beings are conditional (i.e. it is only within certain boundaries that such propositions are true, beyond which they are false - because finite entities can only exist within certain boundaries). The proposition for this reality, however, is unconditional. Hence finite and conditional beings cannot be the extension (misdāq) of the reality in our primary proposition.
- Since the primary proposition is and must always be unconditionally true, and its extension cannot be a finite reality, its extension can only be an infinite and eternally necessary reality.

So there you go. That's the DOTV in a very simplified form.

One may question why we might call such an infinite and eternally necessary reality a "god" or "deity". As an attempt to answer this question, Ibn Sina made some brilliant attribute tracings that allow us to better understand this reality and also allow us to see why many of us may refer to this reality as a god or deity. I looked at some of his tracings in chapter 9 of the book Interpreting Avicenna: Critical Essays, edited by Peter Anderson. The DOTV, coupled with many of the tracings that I found sound, proves the existence of an existent that is necessary, eternal, one-and-only, immaterial, omnipresent, self-subsisting, independent, primary, absolute/infinite, unrestricted, unique, formless, ineffable, uncaused, without rivals, and has all things else depending on it for their existence (the last attribute seems valid only if the principle of causality for contingents is taken as a premise). You can also add in consciousness and knowledge if you find my personal attribute tracing for consciousness and/or knowledge sound (the one I mentioned in my original post).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shia Islamic Argument for the existence of God - by TheMuslim - May 9, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 789 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 20176 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1796 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6473 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2893 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8171 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13940 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 13603 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42818 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 33260 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0