Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology?
RE: Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology?
(May 23, 2016 at 7:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: I didn't ask you about your beliefs.  I asked about your knowledge.  You have no knowledge of the object I was holding, regardless.  

I know, I was careful about my language. I described knowledge in relation to belief with conditional statements (starting with "if"). If you were telling the truth about holding some object, and I took you at your word, I would have knowledge of the fact that you are holding something. I'd be careful about attacking that idea, since about 99% of what the average person knows (maybe you're a scientist and that percentage is lower) about scientific phenomena is taken on the authority of the scientists actually collecting and analyzing the data. That is not a bad thing, and it is not some attempt to sneak "faith" into the discussion. I was answering your question in the most detailed way I could. Would you prefer something like "If I trust you..."?

But I do have some knowledge about the object you were holding, as long as you keep asserting that you were holding it. Until you tell me you weren't actually holding it... I know that you could hold it, and that you did hold it. In other words... I know that it is a thing that can be held.

Quote:You have knowledge of object you were holding.

Sure

Quote:Don't be obtuse.  

[Image: tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o2_500.gif]
Ha! Couldn't resist.

Quote:Predictably, in our empirical experiment..you had no knowledge of the object for which you did not possess sense data.  

...except for all of the sense data that you gave me... like its weight not exceeding your ability to lift... that it is sensible to human beings, etc. Sure, I don't know what it is, its color, its shape, its smell, etc., but that doesn't mean I know nothing. Let's see where you take this:

Quote:You had knowledge of the object for which you did.  Care to run that experiment a few dozen times, a few thousand, a few million? This is precisely the sort of validation described in the first response to your question..where we consider empirical and non-empirical case claims against reality. It is breath-takingly simple to do so, and similarly easy to understand.

I think you need to refine your experiment (I get what you're trying to do, but you ironically demonstrated the opposite), and narrow it down to an aspect which actually requires my physical and personal sense observation (like color). By the way, what color was the thing you held up?

Quote:In the case above, had you layed claim to any knowledge of the object I was holding (rather than, say,.,knowledge of human beings - which I'm willing to bet you might have seen once or twice in your life, btw) you'd have quickly been shown to be bullshitting us..or, perhaps, the luckiest guesser in the history of guessing.

Well, would I have been correct that it was an object you can hold?

Perhaps your understanding of empiricism is unnecessarily narrow?

Messages In This Thread
Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? - by Ignorant - May 20, 2016 at 5:02 am
RE: Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? - by Ignorant - May 23, 2016 at 9:29 am
RE: Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? - by quip - May 24, 2016 at 6:23 pm
RE: Self-Validating Empirical Epistemology? - by GUBU - May 26, 2016 at 5:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Street Epistemology LadyForCamus 10 1204 October 28, 2018 at 2:35 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1463 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Is the idea of self a coherent concept? bennyboy 5 1243 January 1, 2017 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15965 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Does a "True Self" Exist? Salacious B. Crumb 68 14606 July 17, 2015 at 6:11 am
Last Post: chasbanner
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 1830 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3858 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  God as a non-empirical being noctalla 39 5822 April 19, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What is Self ? Muslim Atheism 16 2199 June 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Determinism Is Self Defeating Koolay 220 58022 July 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy