Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. How was I born me and not another?
RE: Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. Why was I born me and not another?
(October 12, 2016 at 5:48 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I've come to conclude that this is actually an absurd question.  You're you because if you were me, you would be me.  You may as well ask why one tennis ball isn't this other tennis ball.  Because one is made up of a certain set of atoms and the other is made of another.  You are a certain set of neurons inside a certain skull that has evolved to create a self-identity based on things like brain structure and experience.  

You're not a rock, because if you were a rock, you couldn't ask this question.

The key here is the trajectory of "me" based on the accumulation of experiences both objective and subjective, conscious and unconscious.

If you had different experiences or made different choices, you would be experiencing a different self identity.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sort of a complicated question, I'll try to ask. Why was I born me and not another? - by Arkilogue - October 12, 2016 at 5:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Far Too Complicated For Creatards Minimalist 4 1498 April 7, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: ignoramus