Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??...
RE: Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??...
What if you go to hell? The way I handle that question is reminding myself that I am already going to hell according to other (non-Christian) religions. Is there any reason for me to fear one hell more than the other, if they do exist? In other words, is there more reason to believe in one major religion than another? I've been reading about religion and talking to people about religion for a long time and I have found that all religions are equally unsubstantiated.

I'm glad that you've taken the time to study both sides of the issue. I haven't read the God Delusion or any of Sam Harris's books. I've seen most of their speeches and interviews and debates with people. I've read most of Richard Carrier's "Sense of Goodness without God: defense of metaphysical naturalism" and the "The Portable Atheist (with commentaries by Hitchens)". I saw the movie based on Lee Strobel's book about the 'resurrection' of Jesus and his defense of the gospels. He lost his credibility, in my opinion, (in the film) when he listed a bunch of events concerning Jesus's life and threw out an astronomical improbability for those events to have occurred which I think is not objective especially in the context that most of the people watching this video do not understand probability theory. I should watch the video again and write out my concerns but he also disappointed me in his book A Case for a Creator where he used multiple straw-man arguments concerning abiogenesis.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??... - by The_Flying_Skeptic - August 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prison got me thinking about atheism Reasoned 10 3899 February 12, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What was I even ever thinking? katiefranco 5 2125 November 18, 2013 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Owlix
  De-converting from Christianity. sarcasticface 17 6430 March 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Dawud
Question a slow but sure process towards rational thinking @heist 5 3415 January 9, 2012 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  converting back unto theism - yes it's true. TruthWorthy 101 33685 March 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: fr0d0