Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-converting from Christianity.
De-converting from Christianity.
I never thought I would ever de-convert from Christianity. My husband and I are both going through this process right now. Here's my story.

Like many people, I was raised in a Christian home. Wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter or watch Pokemon as a kid. Got in HUGE trouble when I was a teenager for holding a boys hand, because you know the worst thing teenagers can do is hold hands. (Fun fact: that boy is my husband now)

Anyway, I guess my de-conversion started a few years ago when I left the church I went to throughout my high school years, the church was having a lot of cult-like tendencies. My family and I switched to another church, but the cult church left me with pretty bad trust issues toward Christian leaders, so even though the new church is a good church I still couldn't[/font] connect. I eventually started not liking Christians very much and not liking being called a Christian because I didn't want to be painted with the same brush as the Christians I knew.

The big turning point was when I started watching documentaries; the first documentary being none other than “Religulous” with Bill Maher lol. The documentaries are what sparked my curiosity. Now I’m watching The Thinking Atheist and The Atheist Experience.

Even though I’m not telling anyone about these changes, I mentioned to my mom recently that I was having a few doubts. She ended up sending me this long (but loving) Facebook message about being careful what expose myself to and that googling things can do me harm because there's a lot of information out there that is wrong. She also mentioned her old friend from her youth group who started listening to things that contradicted the bible and over time she ended up with mental illness. No offense to my mom, but that is so lame to blame mental illness on secular teaching!

There's a lot of religious baggage to go through. For example, recently I was crying to my husband because my whole life I've been told that a marriage can't last without God in the center of it. We just got married a few months ago and we've been together for almost 2 years and have been friends for about 9 years. I was so afraid of losing my best friend and other half!

It's really hard to get away from the religion I was raised in. So much is ingrained in my way of thinking. It's really scary, to be honest. I've gotten passed a lot of the fear, but there is part of me that feels like I'm doing wrong. One step at a time!
RE: De-converting from Christianity.
Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

One step at a time.
Don't overthink it.
And ... have you told your husband yet? I'd say he's the most important person in your life, right now... and if he can't help you... oh boy...
(March 12, 2013 at 11:19 am)pocaracas Wrote: One step at a time.
Don't overthink it.
And ... have you told your husband yet? I'd say he's the most important person in your life, right now... and if he can't help you... oh boy...

Yes, thankfully, my husband and I are both on the same page. Smile
I understand what you are going through. I can relate to so many things you said. It's difficult at first, since one keeps thinking of all the time wasted and all the wrong ideas we had. You should be glad that you are opening your eyes now, though. With time all the bad feelings will turn to freedom and a lot of happiness. I wish you the best! Welcome!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(March 12, 2013 at 11:55 am)jrsm_10 Wrote: I understand what you are going through. I can relate to so many things you said. It's difficult at first, since one keeps thinking of all the time wasted and all the wrong ideas we had. You should be glad that you are opening your eyes now, though. With time all the bad feelings will turn to freedom and a lot of happiness. I wish you the best! Welcome!

Thank you! Yeah, even through all the baggage, I feel much more peace, freedom and happiness. It's just getting through all the years of brain washing can be challenging!
That's exactly how I felt. I was brainwashed! I wasn't even allowed to watch Disney movies! ROFLOL
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Its a process, being analitic about it, I went from Atheist(0)->(Indoctrination)->Catholic(10 y.o) -> Pantheist(12 y.o) -> GOD (13 y.o) (drugs, lots) -> Deist(18 y.o) -> Atheist (20) -> Now.

Remember, the only thing that can be derived from "I am an Atheist" is that the person saying that does not believes in god, nothing else can be inferred.

Welcome & thank you for sharing your story.
(March 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm)jrsm_10 Wrote: That's exactly how I felt. I was brainwashed! I wasn't even allowed to watch Disney movies! ROFLOL

Haha! Yeah, I remember trying to play Captain Planet when I was a kid and my mom stopped me bc the magic rings are witchcraft. LOL good times.
ETA: You have Christian members here and other religions, it is up to them to demonstrate their belief.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??... dave4shmups 47 13679 September 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: dave4shmups
  converting back unto theism - yes it's true. TruthWorthy 101 33255 March 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: fr0d0