Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??...
RE: Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??...
dave4shmups wrote: "Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell?"

First off dave I am sorry but we (atheist) don't have anything for you to convert to, we don't have churches you can attend, baptisms, oaths of non-belief etc. The fear of hell was one of the greatest hurdles I myself had to overcome when I decided to drop my theistic beliefs and practices. The deeper your commitment to theism the harder it is to let it go. It took me about 3 years to finally be able to call myself an atheist publicly and proudly and to once and for all be over the fear of hell. One thing that helped me was doing a very thorough study of comparative religion.

Once I realized that religious beliefs were an cultural phenomenon then I was able to make the connection that it was man made and baseless. If God had truly revealed himself to mankind why is their no uniformity in the so called revelation? Why did he not inspire people from every country on the face of this Earth to produce a bible in their own languages that was essentially the same message? The answer is simple, because each culture put together beliefs based on their society and environment. One characteristic of religious beliefs that is uniform is that every culture that creates a religion always seem to favor their race as "chosen" by the deity they have created.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??... - by chatpilot - September 5, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prison got me thinking about atheism Reasoned 10 3894 February 12, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What was I even ever thinking? katiefranco 5 2124 November 18, 2013 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Owlix
  De-converting from Christianity. sarcasticface 17 6430 March 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Dawud
Question a slow but sure process towards rational thinking @heist 5 3413 January 9, 2012 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  converting back unto theism - yes it's true. TruthWorthy 101 33660 March 26, 2010 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: fr0d0