Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 6, 2024, 11:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender
(August 23, 2017 at 1:06 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(August 23, 2017 at 12:55 pm)shadow Wrote: That's really true. It's what bothers me about some affirmative action things like 'Women in STEM' awards. If you put false incentives on something (like women pursuing STEM) you're not going to have a natural proportion of people pursuing it. I think it can be different if one group is clearly disadvantaged, but for something like science it's not like girls have fewer opportunities to study it than guys (at least in Canada, I'm sure its different elsewhere).
-and the other foot finally falls.  Something else bothers you.  Wink

Plenty bothers me Smile

Quote:
Quote:I don't think that's an accurate parallel to draw. Adopting one of two extreme gender roles does not bridge the gap between them, as bringing food to those who don't have it bridges the gap between those who have food and those who don't. One is actively solving the problem, one is more of a compromise.

Who's looking to bridge any gap in either statement?  What gap?  What compromise is being made in either statement?

'Changing genders' implies that there are distinct genders and you are choosing one of them. Like, if I change my job, I distinctly no longer work in one job and I distinctly work in another. If you don't believe that genders are distinct, sure, choosing between two is better than being forced into one, but the full extent of your view is that you shouldn't have to choose between two.

(August 23, 2017 at 1:16 pm)Khemikal Wrote: No, they believe that they are arbitrary.  You're the one that chose to take the statement that they were arbitrary and then launch into something about them being invalid.

Well, sorry if I didn't make this clear in the OP, but that is the ideology I'm referring to.

Messages In This Thread
A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by shadow - August 21, 2017 at 11:07 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:16 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Losty - August 21, 2017 at 11:37 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 22, 2017 at 11:32 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 10:19 am
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by emjay - August 23, 2017 at 11:11 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by shadow - August 23, 2017 at 1:17 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by SaStrike - September 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm
RE: A contradiction in the liberal view of gender - by Amarok - September 17, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7910 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7417 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A rant on gender stereotypes Natachan 203 25989 January 10, 2015 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Losty
  Potential Christian-Platonist Contradiction? MindForgedManacle 18 4240 April 16, 2014 at 11:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2768 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Ontology of God--Theological Noncognitivist View Knight 132 60926 January 28, 2010 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet