Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence.
RE: Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence.
(March 8, 2018 at 10:19 am)rskovride Wrote:
(March 8, 2018 at 10:01 am)Kookaburra Wrote:

I'm afraid this might be a trap but here goes anyway.

Quote:So anyways, for a TL;DR: how do each of you, personally, approach ethics?

I think the goal of the best possible well-being for everyone and avoidance of the worst possible misery of everyone, is good.

Quote:How does one feel justified in applying their belief system to the world, if there’s no divine objectivity backing them up?

Who else is there to apply it?  I feel justified because I am the only one who can do it.
Not a trap, I promise. Wink  I’m genuinely interested in gaining knowledge on the topic.

Why is avoidance of misery “good”?  I mean, on the surface, yeah, I get it of course.  And I have a similar way of thinking about things on a day to day basis - personally, I would prefer that no sentient being living on the same planet with me has to suffer.  At least not needlessly.  But on a deeper level, what makes an action good vs bad, if anything?  Is it someone’s personal feelings on the subject?

(March 8, 2018 at 10:13 am)robvalue Wrote: Personally, I try to do what is best for other people and animals. I don't use any particular system rigidly, I think through each situation on its own merits. I draw up a pro and con list, often mentally if it's not a huge decision, and weigh it up. There's no formula, not even one I could prescribe for myself.

I aim for the situation where I can justify my actions, by explaining my thought processes, at least to myself. Of course, not everyone will agree with my conclusions. They may have weighed things differently. But my conscience tells me whether I've made the most effort I can to be moral.

For rules of thumb, I don't do anything to other people/animals that I wouldn't want them to do to me; and if I can help, then I do.

There is no objective system, as you're now learning. Anyone can just claim their particular system is "the right one", but that's completely pointless. If we can all at least agree that we want to look after each other, then that's a great starting point.

(I have a video where I go into more detail, if you're interested.)

Bold mine - yeah sure!  Hit me up.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. - by Kookaburra - March 8, 2018 at 10:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Morality Kingpin 101 5728 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6330 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8881 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36834 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2427 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160354 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2025 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does religion corrupt morality? Whateverist 95 25267 September 7, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Morality is like a religion Detective L Ryuzaki 29 7721 August 30, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: strawdawg
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 5976 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho