Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoughts on morality
thoughts on morality
I would like your thoughts and opinions on the following:

'Isn't what you call the Moral Law simply our herd instinct and hasn't it been developed just like all our other instincts?' Now I do not deny that we may have a herd instinct: but that is not what I mean by the Moral Law. We all know what it feels like to be prompted by instinct — by mother love, or sexual instinct, or the instinct for food. It means that you feel a strong want or desire to act in a certain way. And, of course, we sometimes do feel just that sort of desire to help another person: and no doubt that desire is due to the herd instinct. But feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for help from a man in danger. You will probably feel two desires — one desire to give help (due to your herd instinct), the other a desire to keep out of danger (due to the instinct for self-preservation). But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them. You might as well say that the sheet of music which tells you, at a given moment, to play one note on the piano and not another, is itself one of the notes on the keyboard. The Moral Law tells us the tune we have to play: our instincts are merely the keys.

Another way of seeing that the Moral Law is not simply one of our instincts is this. If two instincts are in conflict, and there is nothing in a creature's mind except those two instincts, obviously the stronger of the two must win. But at those moments when we are most conscious of the Moral Law, it usually seems to be telling us to side with the weaker of the two impulses. You probably want to be safe much more than you want to help the man who is drowning: but the Moral Law tells you to help him all the same. And surely it often tells us to try to make the right impulse stronger than it naturally is? I mean, we often feel it our duty to stimulate the herd instinct, by waking up our imaginations and arousing our pity and so on, so as to get up enough steam for doing the right thing. But clearly we are not acting from instinct when we set about making an instinct stronger than it is. The thing that says to you, 'Your herd instinct is asleep. Wake it up,' cannot itself be the herd instinct. The thing that tells you which note on the piano needs to be played louder cannot itself be that note.

Here is a third way of seeing it. If the Moral Law was one of our instincts, we ought to be able to point to some one impulse inside us which was always what we call 'good,' always in agreement with the rule of right behaviors. But you cannot. There is none of our impulses which the Moral Law may not sometimes tell us to suppress, and none which it may not sometimes tell us to encourage. It is a mistake to think that some of our impulses — say mother love or patriotism — are good, and others, like sex or the fighting instinct, are bad. All we mean is that the occasions on which the fighting instinct or the sexual desire need to be restrained are rather more frequent than those for restraining mother love or patriotism. But there are situations in which it is the duty of a married man to encourage his sexual impulse and of a soldier to encourage the fighting instinct. There are also occasions on which a mother's love for her own children or a man's love for his own country have to be suppressed or they will lead to unfairness towards other people's children or countries. Strictly speaking, there are no such things as good and bad impulses. Think once again of a piano. It has not got two kinds of notes on it, the 'right' notes and the 'wrong' ones. Every single note is right at one time and wrong at another. The Moral Law is not any one instinct or set of instincts: it is something which makes a kind of tune (the tune we call goodness or right conduct) by directing the instincts.

By the way, the point is of great practical consequence. The most dangerous thing you can do is to take any one impulse of your own nature and set it up as the thing you ought to follow at all costs. There is not one of them which will not make us into devils if we set up as an absolute guide. You might think love of humanity in general was safe, but it is not. If you leave out justice you will find yourself breaking agreements and faking evidence in trials 'for the sake of humanity', and become in the end a cruel and treacherous man.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: thoughts on morality
Why does every new Christian who shows up here think it's mandatory to do a morality thread? It's been done to death in the very recent past (you might want to check out the dozens-pages-long threads that have cropped up like toadstools in just the past three months or so).

What the hell -- if others want to go down the rabbit hole again, more power to them, but I suspect there's a bit of fatigued boredom around here on this and related issues.

Anyway, don't you have a truckload of objections to deal with (or retractions to make) in your science/God thread? I'm still waiting for some acknowledgement that your design argument is a dud.
Moderator Notice
lkingpinl, if you are going to block quote a source like that, please give credit to the author, who, in this case, is C.S. Lewis. The majority of your post is from his work Mere Christianity. It is against the rules to quote someone else's words and not credit that person for their ideas, which aren't your own.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them.

It's called socialization and enculturation.

(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Another way of seeing that the Moral Law is not simply one of our instincts is this. If two instincts are in conflict, and there is nothing in a creature's mind except those two instincts, obviously the stronger of the two must win. But at those moments when we are most conscious of the Moral Law, it usually seems to be telling us to side with the weaker of the two impulses.

Indeed. We don't usually have to be socialized to do what we would do without socialization.

ETA: Ah, C.S. Lewis. Protip: If you're going to plagiarize, plagiarize something good, not Lewis's inane drivel.
(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I would like your thoughts and opinions on the following:

'Isn't what you call the Moral Law simply our herd instinct and hasn't it been developed just like all our other instincts?' Now I do not deny that we may have a herd instinct: but that is not what I mean by the Moral Law. We all know what it feels like to be prompted by instinct — by mother love, or sexual instinct, or the instinct for food. It means that you feel a strong want or desire to act in a certain way. And, of course, we sometimes do feel just that sort of desire to help another person: and no doubt that desire is due to the herd instinct. But feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for help from a man in danger. You will probably feel two desires — one desire to give help (due to your herd instinct), the other a desire to keep out of danger (due to the instinct for self-preservation). But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them. You might as well say that the sheet of music which tells you, at a given moment, to play one note on the piano and not another, is itself one of the notes on the keyboard. The Moral Law tells us the tune we have to play: our instincts are merely the keys.

I would not describe morality as "herd instinct," but I will presently not concern myself with that.  Your "third desire" that you ought to go with one of the other desires over the other, how is that different from simply having that one desire stronger?  Also, there are likely many desires involved in practice, one of which is to feel proud afterwards instead of ashamed, so that one may think about that desire as adding to the desire to help, and subtracting from the desire to run away.  Also, you likely have the desire to look good to others, which, again, will add to the desire to help and subtract from the desire to run away.  So the upshot is, a bunch of lesser desires might 'add up' to more than one strong desire.

(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Another way of seeing that the Moral Law is not simply one of our instincts is this. If two instincts are in conflict, and there is nothing in a creature's mind except those two instincts, obviously the stronger of the two must win. But at those moments when we are most conscious of the Moral Law, it usually seems to be telling us to side with the weaker of the two impulses. You probably want to be safe much more than you want to help the man who is drowning: but the Moral Law tells you to help him all the same. And surely it often tells us to try to make the right impulse stronger than it naturally is? I mean, we often feel it our duty to stimulate the herd instinct, by waking up our imaginations and arousing our pity and so on, so as to get up enough steam for doing the right thing. But clearly we are not acting from instinct when we set about making an instinct stronger than it is. The thing that says to you, 'Your herd instinct is asleep. Wake it up,' cannot itself be the herd instinct. The thing that tells you which note on the piano needs to be played louder cannot itself be that note.

See comments above.

(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Here is a third way of seeing it. If the Moral Law was one of our instincts, we ought to be able to point to some one impulse inside us which was always what we call 'good,' always in agreement with the rule of right behaviors.

Different people disagree about what is right and what is wrong.  Morality being based on different people's feelings would fit that fact.  Clearly, we do not have a perfect moral guide inside us to always give us the right answer.  Otherwise, there would be no disputes about right and wrong.  Yet they are common.

(July 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: But you cannot. There is none of our impulses which the Moral Law may not sometimes tell us to suppress, and none which it may not sometimes tell us to encourage. It is a mistake to think that some of our impulses — say mother love or patriotism — are good, and others, like sex or the fighting instinct, are bad. All we mean is that the occasions on which the fighting instinct or the sexual desire need to be restrained are rather more frequent than those for restraining mother love or patriotism. But there are situations in which it is the duty of a married man to encourage his sexual impulse and of a soldier to encourage the fighting instinct. There are also occasions on which a mother's love for her own children or a man's love for his own country have to be suppressed or they will lead to unfairness towards other people's children or countries. Strictly speaking, there are no such things as good and bad impulses. Think once again of a piano. It has not got two kinds of notes on it, the 'right' notes and the 'wrong' ones. Every single note is right at one time and wrong at another. The Moral Law is not any one instinct or set of instincts: it is something which makes a kind of tune (the tune we call goodness or right conduct) by directing the instincts.

By the way, the point is of great practical consequence. The most dangerous thing you can do is to take any one impulse of your own nature and set it up as the thing you ought to follow at all costs. There is not one of them which will not make us into devils if we set up as an absolute guide. You might think love of humanity in general was safe, but it is not. If you leave out justice you will find yourself breaking agreements and faking evidence in trials 'for the sake of humanity', and become in the end a cruel and treacherous man.

Again, you are forgetting the fact that multiple desires can push one in the same direction.  See first comments in this post.

One can imagine having, say, 20 desires all at once, and some of them push one in one direction, and some push in another direction, and some might push one in yet another direction.  And they all can have different intensities.  We can imagine that one would do whatever the totality pushes one most to do.  So that in practice, one is not likely to ever just follow one desire, but will always be weighing the various desires and going with whatever the totality indicates.

I see from SteelCurtain's post, and from looking it up thus:

http://www.truthaccordingtoscripture.com...bfSYHj1IxE

You, lkingpinl, are an immoral plagiarist, posting content as if it were your own writing, rather than giving proper credit to the author.  Do you expect anyone to take you seriously in a thread about morality when you are so dishonest and obviously lacking in morality?

This, though, reminds me of what an idiot C.S. Lewis was, and why no one of sense pays attention to his foolish writings.  It would be one thing to write such crap as a post online, but it takes a whole new level of stupid to put it in a published book.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Oh, please! Is anyone of you able and willing to perform a board search? Do you think you're the first one to ask? This has been around forever in about an thousand threads. Just look it up and browse for answers at your leisure.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You know what this place needs? A morality thread. There is one already? WHO CARES, MOAR MORALITY THREADS!!!!
I wish I could help but I'm suffering from moralaphobia and therefore can't give a fuck!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yaaaaawwwwwnnnn.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I tell you what Kingpin, if you're serious about getting into this subject and specifically what Lewis has to say, Steve Shives reviews entire books like this one and dissects them as he goes along. He does a fantastic job, and he pretty much gives the exact same commentary that I would. I'll be doing my vid soon which will also cover a lot of these points.

Here is the link to part 1 of the series on Mere Christianity:

http://youtu.be/9gQ54lXZNaw
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Morality Kingpin 101 5735 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6341 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8885 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36858 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3174 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4185 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12974 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27012 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160376 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12653 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp