Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
RE: The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God
(May 1, 2018 at 11:55 am)Khemikal Wrote: It doesn't concern me, in the least, that a condensed and more accurate counterargument to divine necessity in moral realism fails to lead to your intended conclusion.  I rate that as a pro, not a con.

It's not more condensed and more accurate. It's more condensed and leads to an entirely different conclusion. Both are accurate. You have failed to demonstrate how my argument is supposedly not valid or "does not follow" despite the fact that it clearly does. And if the conclusion of your argument isn't the same as the conclusion of my argument then it's not a shorter version of my argument so I don't care if it doesn't concern you because you are being irrelevant to the OP. The conclusion is supposed to be that it's less rational to believe in God if objective moral values exist... not merely that you don't need God to believe in objective moral values. That should go without saying and is already one of the premises in my argument. You've effectively lead yourself to a conclusion that is already one of the premises in my argument. Of course you don't need God for objective moral values. The point is that if objective moral values exist it's more rational to believe in them without belief in God. And THAT is what your argument is supposed to address if you're actually going to be relevant to the OP.

(May 1, 2018 at 12:13 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(May 1, 2018 at 11:14 am)Hammy Wrote:

The problem is that I don't accept any of your premises other than 4.  Which means that you still have more work to do.  All thought to be fair, rejection of premise 2 is mostly because of premise 1.

Well that's different to what you said before. Before you said my argument did not follow (was invalid) now you're saying it's unsound (for you at least) because you don't accept the premises.

Well that's fine. The point is if you accept the premises the conclusion follows.

What about the shorter version of my argument that I provided you with?

(May 1, 2018 at 12:45 pm)possibletarian Wrote: But most of all I never saw why it was used as an argument for god, as I never understood why morals need to be objective anyway, they simply had to be agreed upon, indoctrinated, or enforced.

Personally I believe in objective morality but I don't believe objective moral values exist. I believe in objective epistemology but not objective moral ontology.

And it has been asked of me incredulously by Neo things like, to paraphrase him "That makes no sense how can you have knowledge of something you don't believe exists?!"... but my point is that I don't believe objective moral values exist independent of our minds. What I'm saying is that moral truths are like mathematical truths: They are true but don't refer to things that actually exist in the world. I can believe it's objectively true that 2+2=4 without thinking there's an entity in the external world that represents the truth of 2+2=4. I'm not a mathematical platonist. What would it mean for mathematical truths to "exist"? What would it mean for logical truths to "exist"? What would it mean for objective moral values to "exist"? Existence is different to truth.

Of course, because unlike some (most?) people I believe in ontological subjectivity... so I'm more than happy to think that I do, if being pedantic, believe that objective moral values and mathematical truths and logical truths exist... they just exist within human minds. It's just many or most people wouldn't call that existence so I prefer to say I don't believe in moral ontology because for most people moral ontology means an external existence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God - by Edwardo Piet - May 1, 2018 at 8:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 770 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13483 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6793 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of God smithd 314 19937 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 6799 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3177 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1726 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 3884 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 4834 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5837 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris