Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values?
On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values?
I was listening to William Lane Craig's moral argument. Even if we grant him that God exists and objective morality exists and god is the basis of objective morality, why do humans have moral duties? Why do we have to be good and do good other than for a selfish interest in going to heaven? He just claims that we do have moral duties (just like he claims by fiat that objective moral values exist). But why, on theism, do humans have a moral duty to be good?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
– Douglas Adams
RE: On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values?
Hello,
It's sort of a tradition to make and introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values?
(May 19, 2022 at 8:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Hello,
It's sort of a tradition to make and introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Done.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
– Douglas Adams
(May 19, 2022 at 8:17 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Hello,

Done
– Douglas Adams
(May 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm)Pnerd Wrote: I was listening to William Lane Craig's moral argument. Even if we grant him that God exists and objective morality exists and god is the basis of objective morality, why do humans have moral duties? Why do we have to be good and do good other than for a selfish interest in going to heaven? He just claims that we do have moral duties (just like he claims by fiat that objective moral values exist). But why, on theism, do humans have a moral duty to be good?

You answered it yourself - humans are required to behave morally because God said so. No other justification is needed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 19, 2022 at 8:11 pm)Pnerd Wrote: I was listening to William Lane Craig's moral argument. Even if we grant him that God exists and objective morality exists and god is the basis of objective morality, why do humans have moral duties? Why do we have to be good and do good other than for a selfish interest in going to heaven? He just claims that we do have moral duties (just like he claims by fiat that objective moral values exist). But why, on theism, do humans have a moral duty to be good?

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

Romans 2:12-15 (NIV)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

I don't know what William Lane Craig says. He gets a lot of attention these days, but I don't find him to be a very interesting thinker.

There's a lot of variation among Christians, of course. So you'd get a variety of different answers if you went to a Christian site. I can outline the view that I studied, when I was reading Christian theology:

~ Human beings are a certain kind of animal, with particular needs, abilities, limitations, etc. 

~ There are ways of behaving that are suitable to our particular qualities, and ways that aren't. The best behavior is that which aims toward our best overall well-being. 

~ We may not understand what is best for us in any given situation. This is why we have various institutions to provide guidelines. (Though of course institutions may fail to know well.) 

~ Humans are by nature social animals. No one is an island. One's overall well-being depends very much on the well-being of others. 

Morality and ethics are the norms we use to aim toward what is best for us, which includes what is best for everyone else. 

"Moral duty" means the recognition that it is bad to harm ourselves or others, and the commitment not to do so. It means adopting the responsibility of behaving with the well-being of ourselves and others constantly in mind.

Well this is easy  and it's a triple edged sword. Behave with moral  actions = heaven. Behave with amoral actions = hell. Behave with amoral actions yet repent = heaven.

It's kind of a weird Catch 22. Which ticket do you think the true christians believers want?

Don't get me started on catholics and their ability to purchase forgiveness.

And remember humans created god, heaven and hell. Think about it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
IMHO references to objectivity often entail the notion that attaining a third-person perspective, i.e. a God's-Eye-View is conceivable. But if it is truly concievable, as opposed to say just imagined, then the object of that conception would be God. So really objectivity entails the concept of God in at least as much as it is possible to percieve the universe from the outside.
<insert profound quote here>
Quote:I was listening to William Lane Craig's moral argument. Even if we grant him that God exists and objective morality exists and god is the basis of objective morality, why do humans have moral duties? Why do we have to be good and do good other than for a selfish interest in going to heaven? He just claims that we do have moral duties (just like he claims by fiat that objective moral values exist). But why, on theism, do humans have a moral duty to be good?

You could break this down into separate questions.

Quote:Even if we grant him that God exists and objective morality exists and god is the basis of objective morality, why do humans have moral duties?

First, some atheists believe that objective morality exists. Its objectivity doesn't necessarily mean that it comes from God. You could ask: if there is (non-God-given) objective morality, why do humans have moral duties? That would simplify part of the question, by leaving out the divine part. 

Quote:Why do we have to be good and do good other than for a selfish interest in going to heaven?

You seem to be assuming that if an objective morality comes from God, then the only reason to be good is to want, selfishly, to go to Heaven. I'm not sure that's true. One could want to be a good person for other reasons, as well. In fact, they might be some of the same reasons why atheists ought to be good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 792 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2042 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5649 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8219 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13611 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  There are no higher emotions/values Transcended Dimensions 58 11653 April 30, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4409 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Autonomous vehicle objective morality! ignoramus 0 796 July 26, 2017 at 5:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11285 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
  Is morality objective or subjective? SuperSentient 50 11217 May 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm