Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 2:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My view and reasons for them. Atheist and Christians welcome here. (short)
RE: My view and reasons for them. Atheist and Christians welcome here. (short)
(May 9, 2018 at 9:09 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 8:42 am)Quick Wrote: Thanks for explaining that.
NP, I enjoy putting religious and evolutionary development in complimentary contexts.  

Quote:I have to ask how you know that in a vacuum that humans defer to not believing in God when left to their own devices. (I am not sure this is what you are saying, however.) 
It's not really an issue of "not doing something"  or even deferring.  There;s simply no cognate to act on, do anything to, or not do anything to.  It's not that we couldn't build those cognates by ourselves..(there had to be a first deist in every village, after all).....it;s just that whatever connections we might build ourselves (in a vacuum) would take time, and are interfered with by our prevailing cultural and societal narratives.  The main factor in a persons religious beliefs are the beliefs of their parents - their first and most trusted influencers.  Second after that is their immediate peer group - with a strong bias for mates.

I don't think I really have any problems with the above two statement, but it def has me thinking.

(May 9, 2018 at 9:09 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(May 9, 2018 at 8:42 am)Quick Wrote: I say this because you state culture/society function isn't hardwired into us. I don't know how/why you make this claim.
There is no american christian™ gene.  Neither culture nor society are heritable.  That's how.  My wife is a believer.  I;m not.  We didn't birth theist/atheist f1 hybrids.  There's no such thing.

Again, though, all of this is just elaboration on what ought to be a completely uncontroversial point.  Are babys born believing in gods??  No, ofc not, were not cognizant of much at all at our birth.  

Infants are the only True Non-Cognitivists™ Wink

I'm not trying to argue that simply being born gives one a predisposition to believing in the christian faith. Not at all. I guess the closest argument I would make a stance on to that is that I think believing in a God or gods is inherent to our development as a species. As such there is a cognitive bias towards believing in a higher power even in isolation of culture/society. I would then have to say that the rejection in the belief God or gods as the arguments are put forth at this point in time are either also an evolutionary process for our species OR it is completely influenced by culture/society because of negative connotations of the belief in God or gods - a reaction, if you will, for the ever growing need to expand our toolset. I guess that is more or less where I sit with atheism at this time. AND this change of view wouldn't be possible without robvalue, Simon Moon, or surreptitious57, so I want to make sure to thank you three for shedding some light on things. And now recently, you have given me something to chew on as well.
But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change, 
and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence. 
~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Messages In This Thread
RE: My view and reasons for them. Atheist and Christians welcome here. (short) - by Quick - May 9, 2018 at 9:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jews view of Jesus themonkeyman 12 4897 December 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: theyear12013
  Jodo Shinshu view on faith TheViolentFemme 11 4382 June 12, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: John V