Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jodo Shinshu view on faith
Jodo Shinshu view on faith
Hi everyone, I know I haven't been on here much but I have something I'd like to share. I recently started attending a Jodo Shinshu BUddhist temple and every week we have a small discussion about different aspects of Buddhism after the service. This week we were talking about five aspects of Buddhism, one of which being faith. We received a passage from a book on Buddha's teaching and I'd just like toshare a section I really loved.
"When we have faith, a great energy in us is unleashed. If our faith is in something unreliable or false, not informed by insight, sooner or later it will lead us to a state of doubt and suspicion. But when our faith is made of insight and understanding, we will touch the things that are good, beautiful, and reliable. Faith is the confidence we receive when we put into practice a teaching that helpsus overcome difficulties and obtain some tranformation. It is like the confidence a farmer has in his way of growing crops. It is not blind. It is not some belief in a set of ideas or dogmas."

I really connected with this because, as it seems with a lot of people on here, I lost my faith in god for that very reason. Just thought this might help some people see that there is good in some organized religions Smile
RE: Jodo Shinshu view on faith
I like your username.....

are you into spanking kinky stuff with whips, ropes and chains?
(June 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I like your username.....

are you into spanking kinky stuff with whips, ropes and chains?

Wow.... Really? How stupid do you look now, want attention much?

By the way it's a band you uncultured little shit
I don't know how far any of those statements made hold water - or especially how well the analogy of faith to the pragmatism and experience of a farmer is made...but it's good to see that you've found something positive(?) from within your organized religious group that brings you some enjoyment.

WB btw.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

The more I encounter of Buddhism, the more I think it's a form of self-induced brain damage.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm)TheViolentFemme Wrote: Wow.... Really? How stupid do you look now, want attention much?

Well, that's an exaggerated response... are you always like this, or was it a bad day? Thinking

Quote:By the way it's a band you uncultured little shit

Some would even say, 'uncalled for', which isn't a band so far as I know, but if it was: I bet their music would suck too.

Not much of a band, is it? Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm)TheViolentFemme Wrote: Wow.... Really? How stupid do you look now, want attention much?

By the way it's a band you uncultured little shit

lololol

I imagine you screaming this whilest sitting in your temple in a cross legged possition in monk attire. Followed by a deep breath - Ooooooooooooooommnnnnnnn

Very Buddhist.

anyway:

Quote:"When we have faith, a great energy in us is unleashed. If our faith is in something unreliable or false, not informed by insight, sooner or later it will lead us to a state of doubt and suspicion. But when our faith is made of insight and understanding, we will touch the things that are good, beautiful, and reliable. Faith is the confidence we receive when we put into practice a teaching that helpsus overcome difficulties and obtain some tranformation. It is like the confidence a farmer has in his way of growing crops. It is not blind. It is not some belief in a set of ideas or dogmas."

Lovely how one can be dogmatic and then insist on not being dogmatic.
(June 6, 2013 at 4:51 am)apophenia Wrote:

The more I encounter of Buddhism, the more I think it's a form of self-induced brain damage.

Maybe it's not Buddhism, but the audience it receives in 'the West'? Thinking
(June 6, 2013 at 5:00 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 4:51 am)apophenia Wrote: The more I encounter of Buddhism, the more I think it's a form of self-induced brain damage.

Maybe it's not Buddhism, but the audience it receives in 'the West'? Thinking

I'm normally considered a fairly intelligent woman, but I don't have the first fucking clue what that means.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(June 6, 2013 at 5:54 am)apophenia Wrote:
(June 6, 2013 at 5:00 am)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Maybe it's not Buddhism, but the audience it receives in 'the West'? Thinking

I'm normally considered a fairly intelligent woman, but I don't have the first fucking clue what that means.

Not Christianity, but 'the Christians'? Basically... Buddhism is plenty fucked-up on its own, but when it's shipped overseas to america, it takes on this weird-as-shit hippie form... weird-as-shit hippies being the typical 'market' for the religion. Buddhism is a marketed commodity here in America, and those who 'buy into it' are usually members of its targeted audience.

'Buddhism's a religion of peace and luv and self-understanding, mang!'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My view and reasons for them. Atheist and Christians welcome here. (short) Quick 194 19675 May 10, 2018 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Quick
  Faith and "Truth vs Utility" Valyza1 31 8102 May 16, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Valyza1
  Jews view of Jesus themonkeyman 12 4869 December 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: theyear12013