Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 5:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So finally tried making a classical piano song. . .
RE: So finally tried making a classical piano song. . .
(July 29, 2018 at 1:39 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(July 28, 2018 at 4:04 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Getting natural piano sound while using MIDI is quite tricky - any "real" instrument, really. It's almost impossible when using notation, which is designed to be interpreted and "humanized" by the performer. I imagine there might be plugins, which add some variation in velocity and timing, but I don't know for sure, especially that I have virtually no knowledge of Sibelius. I do know, however, that most modern sequencers have some options for adding human feel to programmed parts, as do some virtual instruments.

Yeah the actual performance is actually a WIP.  I'm pretty good at hand-editing notes to sound natural.  But this song has a LOT of notes!  I think it would take me about as much time to learn to play the piece, as to program it to sound played.  That doesn't mean it would be worth trying-- but yeah. . . it could very easily take more time to sequence it as it took me to write it.

Yes, sorry - I didn't mean to lecture you on the basics of MIDI editing. I was bored and in the mood for reminiscing about the times when I could be bothered to do sh*t. Wink

(July 29, 2018 at 1:39 am)bennyboy Wrote: I've done it in the past with violin, and it was MUCH easier just because of the reduced volume of notes you have to deal with.

Interesting. I always found solo fret-less string instruments to be some of the most difficult ones to emulate - perhaps second to only slide/blues acoustic guitars, sitar and maybe jazz saxes - due to their wide range of articulation and modulation techniques available. Glissandos, legato and vibrato are especially tough and sound notoriously fake and cheesy on pretty much all MIDI instruments I've ever heard. Then again - perhaps there are some so convincing, I heard them without even knowing they were their "fake"?

Anyway, for what little experience I have imitating acoustic instruments with MIDI - I'd rather go through black pages of piano notes, than try to pull off a convincing violin sound. Especially solo, when I can't just drawn out the questionable bits with noise...

(July 29, 2018 at 1:39 am)bennyboy Wrote: Luckily for me, I live in Korea right now, and a local piano school director has found a top-notch student who wants to try and play it.  Hopefully in a couple months, I'll have a live concert performance to link, and then I can die happy! Big Grin

Well - sounds like you're all set, then. Good luck and have fun... errr... dying happy, I suppose.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: So finally tried making a classical piano song. . . - by Homeless Nutter - July 29, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please Use This Song (Jon Lajoie) WinterHold 1 354 December 1, 2020 at 11:21 am
Last Post: brewer
  The best song in the history of mankind WinterHold 25 1612 August 28, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  School Shooting Range (Original Song) Mechaghostman2 4 925 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Fire Storm (Original Song) Mechaghostman2 0 324 February 15, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Favorite '80s Song(s)? ƵenKlassen 4 1064 December 5, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: KittyAnn
  What song would describe your life? ƵenKlassen 30 6886 November 24, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What is your favorite Queen song? ƵenKlassen 19 2247 November 14, 2017 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  this will be making more money than hawking their dubious . . . vorlon13 0 409 December 12, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the first song or piece of music you can remember hearing on the radio (or)? Whateverist 78 10955 October 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Your favourite song at the moment ApeNotKillApe 0 739 September 12, 2016 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe