Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism
RE: Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism
(June 12, 2019 at 10:36 pm)ColdComfort Wrote: I enjoyed that. The part about Lipset's [ sp?] experiments being misrepresented was informative

His experiments aren't being misrepresented by anyone. Anyone is free to conclude whatever they like from the data produced by Libet's experiments. Some take his data to suggest that free will illusory. Libet himself drew different conclusions. This doesn't mean anybody's work is being misrepresented by anyone.

Furthermore, if anyone is misrepresenting Libet, it's the neuroscientist in the video... (although, to be fair, he doesn't really misrepresent Libet)... here's the deal: According to the video, Libet is a property dualist. A property dualist is much like a materialist. They do not posit that there is any kind of immaterial soul or distinct substance like the Cartesians do. All they say is that there is one kind of substance, yet some of that substance has an immaterial property.

I don't really like that they are called dualists... much for the same reasons you give-- guilt by association with Descartes.

Quote:I also don't like the term dualist as it suggests Descartes...

But his position can be easily proved and you can do this at home all by yourself. Imagine any sensation or thought you might have. Now I'll concede the point for arguments sake that these sensations correspond to or are even caused by measurable activities in the brain. Still the sensation or thought you experience is something very different from the brain activity. No? Qualia the eggheads call them. This is obvious to me. 

But this is the thought experiment that Rene Descartes describes in the first two chapters of his Meditations. Why do you have a problem that something "suggests Descartes" when your own ideas are distinctly Cartesian. In fact, what you've done is describe the mind/body problem. That's why Descartes was an excellent philosopher... not because his theory, substance dualism, was correct, but that he discovered the question that we had yet to answer. (And we still haven't answered it.)

You brought up hylomorphism in another post, so maybe you prefer it to substance dualism. But hylomorphism does not suggest an immaterial soul. If anything, it describes a material soul.

Hylomorphism was Aristotle's "improvement" on Plato's theory of Forms (which Aristotle rejected). To Aristotle, you could look at a few examples of different kinds of tables and come up with an idea of "table-ness." Now anyone can recognize that "table-ness" is a real thing. But it isn't a physical thing. It's nonphysical.

Where Aristotle departed from Plato was in that Plato thought that Forms could exist independently of material. Aristotle said "no"... Every real thing was a combination of matter (hyle) and form (morphe). So a table, for example, could be divided into the wood that comprises it (matter) and the form of "table-ness" that organizes the wood. So "table-ness" is an organizing principle and NOT an immaterial substance.

Likewise, the hylomorphic soul, is NOT an immaterial substance but an organizing principle-- or as I said earlier, a material soul. I'm not alone on this. Many philosophers agree with me in that hylomorphism is materialism. There is disagreement too, but not enough disagreement for the neuroscientist in the video to say that hylomorphism relates to the existence of an immaterial thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism - by vulcanlogician - June 15, 2019 at 11:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12046 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117104 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4628 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 31668 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52577 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Occams Hatchet and Is Materialism "Special" Bunburryist 271 18764 October 11, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Bunburryist
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12659 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15360 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 36196 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 29924 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger