Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Righteous and the Woke
RE: The Righteous and the Woke
(October 11, 2019 at 11:54 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Yeah, honestly, I feel the same way a lot of the time. Granted, I’m usually far more sympathetic to the concerns of the “woke” than the fundies, but I’m painfully aware that a lot of us are hung up on vastly oversimplified concepts (an overreliance on the Power Plus Prejudice Paradigm being one of them) and many are so obnoxious about it that I strongly suspect many of the new generation of literal Nazis would consider exposure to them (even if it’s just in viral videos and twitter posts they didn’t actually interact with) as the stick that pushed them off the path of basic human decency. And an over reliance on black and white thinking, the kind that I saw my mother fall into while watching Nancy Grace and Jane Velez-Mitchell on HLN, seeing her slowly turn into the crippled old writer from ACO over her righteous hate even of the degenerate sex criminals and murderers they railed over in their Two Hours’ Hate, really frustrates me to no end.

It’s enough that I’d seriously consider moving to the right... if they weren’t objectively worse, that is.

I hear ya. I can't say that these types on the left have really moved me any farther right than I already was... as in, I've never been on the right. I've been a progressive liberal so far as I can remember. I was always confused as a child when people would bash on gay people or other folks who didn't conform to "traditional lifestyles."

I definitely don't ever see myself identifying as a conservative... though I suppose I probably hold some conservative beliefs... but therein lies the problem. "If you hold one conservative belief, you're on the wrong team and deserve to be shamed!"

It's that type of thinking I have an issue with. You can be 99.99% liberal, if we can quantify it that way for the sake of the point, but be pro-life instead of pro-choice (I'm pro-choice btw) and be labeled a misogynistic Nazi piece of shit... instead of maybe just being misinformed or simply having a differing opinion on that one issue.

And really, it does no good for the left. I think a lot of these people believe that if we all dig our heels in the dirt just like the conservatives do, we'll make headway... but we aren't. We've been digging our heels in the dirt. What did the repubs say? Fuck you, here's Trump.

Don't like Trump? Fuck you, here's another four years.

Green New Deal? Fuck you, I'm buying a hummer.

Are they (the conservatives) idiots for behaving this way? Yeah. Of course. No question.

But I simply don't think doubling down and drawing a line in the sand is gonna' work. It hasn't so far.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.

Messages In This Thread
The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 11, 2019 at 1:55 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 11, 2019 at 11:54 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 12:03 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Grandizer - October 14, 2019 at 5:40 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 12, 2019 at 4:54 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 12, 2019 at 10:15 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 12, 2019 at 6:46 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 6:55 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 12, 2019 at 3:59 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by brewer - October 12, 2019 at 11:26 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Hillbillyatheist - October 12, 2019 at 2:00 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 12, 2019 at 6:25 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 7:31 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 13, 2019 at 12:28 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 8:05 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 13, 2019 at 9:40 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Succubus - October 13, 2019 at 9:22 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by notimportant1234 - October 13, 2019 at 9:54 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Acrobat - October 14, 2019 at 12:19 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by EgoDeath - October 14, 2019 at 12:37 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 14, 2019 at 12:57 am
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Rev. Rye - October 14, 2019 at 8:41 pm
RE: The Righteous and the Woke - by Little lunch - October 15, 2019 at 1:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of Your Colleagues Just Woke Up, V Minimalist 16 1107 July 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Whateverist