Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 3:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is not your ordinary Arnold Palmer Ice T.
RE: This is not your ordinary Arnold Palmer Ice T.
(May 23, 2020 at 3:16 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the era, or stemmed from the era where congress dragged Twisted Sister into congress?

I do remember the blow up over the song "Cop Killer."

I guess it is ok for whites to sing about tits and ass like Cherry Pie, or killing law enforcement like Eric Clapton with " I shot the Sheriff". Or committing crimes like the Steve Miller Band, "Take The Money And Run".

Just to be clear, I am agreeing with your post.

That song was in response to PMRC and Tipper Gore's crusade to protect young suburban kids from sex and violence in music and Ice T's trouble with a show in Georgia in 1988.  It was not okay for white guys like W.A.S.P., AC/DC, Judas Priest or pop metal bands to sing about sex and violence.  It equally wrong for trashy '80s girls like Madonna, Sheena Easton, or Cyndi Lauper.  It was easier for a 60's guy like Clapton to cover Bob Marley or J J Cale (Cocaine) because by the 70's, kids didn't take him seriously, and it was still the 70's.

Johnny Cash performed Cocaine Blues at Folsum Prison in 1968.  "Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot of cocaine and shot my woman down."   And that was fine.  So yes, the mid '80s backlash was in step with the father knows best presidency and hint of McCarthyism we experienced with Reagan.  Ice T and rap in general thrived in response.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is not your ordinary Arnold Palmer Ice T. - by Ranjr - May 23, 2020 at 4:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ice - Sculptures, Cracks, Fissures, Bergs, Floes, Princess, EXPLOSIONS! Violet 6 2442 May 11, 2010 at 3:53 am
Last Post: Violet