Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
Frankly, the fact that you took until the second page of this thread to play the "suicide is unknowable" card, and dismissed the arguments that trans people are more likely to commit suicide because of discrimination points fairly strongly towards you thinking that trans people are naturally prone to mental illness or something in ways that can't be fixed by society becoming more tolerant.

Something tells me that if you really approached this with the mindset that suicide is unknowable, you'd have approached your OP like that (pointing out the inherent flaws in surveys) instead of wondering "Is a trans person more likely to commit suicide, or is a suicidal person more likely to change gender?" And even if you didn't set out to make it a question of nature vs. nurture, when Porcupine pointed out that the evidence, especially in the link you cited, points strongly towards nurture, you dismissed it. And when others joined in and pointed out how questionable your dismissal was, then and only then did you change tactics and ask "who can say why people kill themselves? It's such a personal affair."

You might be able to argue that the question in the OP was about something other than the nature-nurture debate over trans suicide, but something tells me you'd at least have tried to explain yourself and try to steer the discussion back on track. And after all that, I can only assume that when you bring up the topic, ask questions, and then suddenly say that you don't think those questions can be answered when we try to do so, I don't think you're being truly candid with us about what you really think.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? - by Rev. Rye - July 22, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am currently recovering from transgender surgeries. Ask me anything. TaraJo 27 2056 September 1, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2499 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 943 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn