Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
(July 24, 2020 at 1:36 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: Transphobia is the biggest factor and no comparing them to blacks is stupid as it's not THE SAME kind of mistreatment

Absolutely!  Two very distinct differences here that I can think of right off the top of my head:

1)  If you're black or hispanic or Jewish or a member of another racial or ethnic minority, at least your family are all going to be in the same boat as you.  It's not like the family of black people is going to reject them for being black; they're black too.  LGBT people, especially trans people, don't get that luxury.  A lot of us have very homophobic/transphobic families.  It's not at all uncommon for homeless teens to be mostly gay or transgender, simply because their parents threw them out.  

2)  If you're transgender, the discomfort you get just from your body being wrong.... that's a kind of discomfort that can't directly be relieved by social acceptance.  Even if the rest of the world accepts me 100% as a woman, that doesn't change the feeling of discomfort I get from having to shave my face or from having to special order giant size women's shoes.  If there were some kind of racial dysphoria, where it just feels absolutely wrong for such-and-such person to be such-and-such race, well, we can compare the two then, but I haven't seen it yet.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? - by TaraJo - July 24, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am currently recovering from transgender surgeries. Ask me anything. TaraJo 27 2060 September 1, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2500 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 943 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn