Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
(July 24, 2020 at 7:36 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(July 24, 2020 at 1:36 pm)SUNGULA Wrote:

I split Dysphoria from Trans because they are not inherently the same .

Your last sentence has the issue of automatically conflating Trans with dysphoria these are distinct and would not explain trans who commit suicide without dysphoria

This is my understanding of the words Gender Dysphoria and Transgender:

In the transition from DSM-IV to DSM-5 there was a shift of focus from the issue of identity to the issue of distress that affects transgenders. However, shifting the focus towards distress does not eliminate the issue of identity; it still accompanies the diagnosis. To put it another way, the word Gender Dysphoria is a compound noun. "Gender" is not functioning as an adjective to specify the type of dysphoria a person has. Individuals have "Gender Dysphoria" not "Dysphoria about their gender." 

Gender Dysphoria is the emotional or cognitive discontent with one's assigned gender; this means that in a non-clinical sense, the word Gender Dysphoria is synonymous with Transgender; it is the thing that transgenders have or makes them transgender. You can see this in the diagnostic criteria. They are composed of things that most transgenders relate with, such as the incongruence between your gender identity and your assigned sex, a desire to be treated as the opposite gender, or a conviction that you have the feelings and reactions of the opposite gender.

However, being clinically diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria makes the term take on more nuance. For example, you have to account for how strongly and for how long individuals have these feelings for.

Edit: I removed my analogy of feeling depressed and being diagnosed with depression.
Wrong on all counts . If there is no distress there is no dysphoria
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? - by The Architect Of Fate - July 25, 2020 at 3:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am currently recovering from transgender surgeries. Ask me anything. TaraJo 27 2060 September 1, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2500 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 943 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn