Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
(July 27, 2020 at 12:04 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: If anti-discrimination laws were really all that comprehensive, then one would think that there wouldn't be a need to create a bunch of redundant laws to protect people who were already protected under existing laws.

Well, sir, that is precisely my point. In fact, I would go a step further and say that for all intents and purposes, transgenders, and by extension the entire LGBTQ movement, is hardly a discriminated against category. In terms of the prevailing social attitude, they are in fact celebrated, and considerably more popular than other groups which have historically and continue to be targets of discrimination, namely racial minorities (Blacks) and religious minorities (Muslims and Jews).

(July 27, 2020 at 12:04 am)WinterHold Wrote: Transgendered people don't understand who they are, and the media is either treating them as "handicapped children" or "a mistake and a shame that shouldn't exist".

Moreover; they increase the dose of depressive reality with taking hormones and drugs to change who they are.

Combine the two points above and you'll get a glimpse of why they kill themselves: they want to end it all and just let go.

I always ask myself: do trans people mutilate themselves because the surgeons said so or because the drugs said so or because the gap in their line of thoughts said so? Knowing that the "gap in the line of thoughts" resulted from the devastating media and faulty raising?

It's a very big issue.

I tend to agree with your remarks here. There is perhaps a combination of factors as you have mentioned. I maintain that whether it is a single or multiple factors, it is entirely internal to the transgender person and not external, that is, not a consequence of discrimination or even perceived discrimination. I am genuinely surprised why people speculate as to the reason for transgenders being much more likely to take their own lives than non-transgenders. A transgender person is by default someone that is emotionally distraught, psychologically damaged, and sexually dysfunctional. External discrimination does not come into the equation! Any expert on the psychology of gender dysphoria can confirm this without mincing words provided there wasn’t the atmosphere of political correctness that has the potential to negatively effect their career or employment. Now it is quite apparent that transgender suicide is a magnified example of suicide that is a consequence of the low self-esteem and body image issues, which incidentally effects another demographic (teenage girls). The difference is that many teenage girls eventually overcome their struggle as they mature, though there are always those tragic cases of some teenage girl who hung herself that we hear about occasionally in the news. But for transgenders, this is a lifelong struggle with body image and low self-esteem. Just as no one would argue teenage girls are a discriminated against category of people and that is the reason for those instances of teenage girls committed suicide, likewise, why should we conclude that discrimination is the primary factor for transgender suicides. Let alone being a primary factor, discrimination isn’t a factor at all.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? - by Cherub19 - July 27, 2020 at 12:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am currently recovering from transgender surgeries. Ask me anything. TaraJo 27 2060 September 1, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2500 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 943 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn