Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?
(July 22, 2020 at 1:16 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide?

Here's one case I remember reading about in some doctor's memoirs, and I really am interested what you think about it, OB

Quote:Early in my practice, an attractive young woman, a recent college graduate who was about to be married in a few weeks, came to see me. She had mentioned to previous physicians in years past her total amenorrhea—lack of a menstrual cycle—but they had chosen not to investigate its possible causes. Finally, almost on the eve of her wedding, her gynecologist referred her for endocrinological evaluation.
[...]
I ordered a test—chromosomal analysis, through a scraping of skin cells from the inside of the cheek—as an appropriate tool to help diagnose the patient’s problem. Perhaps it would have been better had I not done so. The test revealed that our young bride-to-be was, in fact, male.

What should we do? After twenty-three years of female life, should we tell her that she was really a man? How would her friends and family feel? How would her fiancé react? Late one afternoon I assembled the physicians involved in the case in my office. We agreed that ethics and legality be damned, we would find some way to keep this tremendous revelation from her. The patient psychologically was a female and should be kept a female.

Of course, there would be repercussions from this decision. Obviously, the marriage would be infertile; we didn’t tell her. She would need estrogen supplements, and some anatomical rearrangements—a surgical procedure would create a functioning vagina. But how could we explain the surgery and still keep the secret?
[...]
Ultimately, we were forced to tell the young lady the truth about herself. Three days later, I assisted in detoxifying her from a drug overdose requiring hospitalization and a good deal of prayer.

The marriage was postponed and the surgery was performed. After a few months, the couple broke their engagement and severed their relationship. Some twenty years later, I heard that my patient had died in an automobile accident on her way to a health food festival. She never married, and I know nothing about her relationships with men or women, but I suspect that they were difficult to sustain.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are transgender people more likely to commit suicide? - by Fake Messiah - July 29, 2020 at 10:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am currently recovering from transgender surgeries. Ask me anything. TaraJo 27 2055 September 1, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why some people who dislike horror call it stupid? Der/die AtheistIn 36 2499 March 5, 2019 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why are some people afraid to be judged by society regarding only some things? Der/die AtheistIn 8 942 January 26, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn