Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement?
Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement?
Quote:Although psychologists have yet to converge on a consensual definition of intellectual humility, most concur that it encompasses an awareness of one’s intellectual limitations and biases (Church and Samuelson 2016; Leary et al. 2017; Lilienfeld and Bowes 2020); an appreciation of alternative perspectives; and an acknowledgement that the evidentiary bases of one’s beliefs are often incomplete (Alfano et al. 2017; Whitcomb et al. 2017).

This is taken from quite a lengthy and very well referenced article in the Skeptical Enquirer: https://skepticalinquirer.org/2020/09/in...-movement/

I haven't yet read it all but I think the idea makes a lot of sense, and am reminded of the saying circa: "It is a pity that the ignorant are always so certain whereas the wise are so full of doubt."

Seems to me that intellectual humility is far more likely to win over the faith heads than professed certainty, in part due to the fact it might inspire them to examine their own beliefs from a dispassionate, non-partisan MO.

Read Clap

Messages In This Thread
Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement? - by Duty - September 9, 2020 at 1:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement Jehanne 78 5770 January 17, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is humility a virtue? Bahana 31 4751 April 2, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Humility why do you mock me so? Losty 58 7709 September 23, 2016 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Is what we think emotional or intellectual? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 16 2005 December 15, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Sappho
  How flexible is the principle of causality? Mudhammam 40 4736 March 18, 2014 at 9:41 am
Last Post: tor