Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is humility a virtue?
Is humility a virtue?
I admit I have a visceral reaction when I hear people bragging about themselves or their accomplishments. I'm not sure if it's something leftover from my Christian upbringing that put a high value on humility. Many today feel there's nothing wrong with talking about your good qualities or your accomplishments because it shows self-confidence. Of course overdoing it can make it look like someone is overcompensating. What is your view?
RE: Is humility a virtue?
Humility is a virtue when it is justified. Which is the majority of the time.

I'm not a fan of false modesty at all. But genuine humility is beautiful.

By humility I mean the opposite of arrogance by the way. I'm not a fan of the Christian sort of humility that tends to be more about unnecessarily huge amounts of shame over nothing actually shameful than anything I would think of as humility.
Humility is good, but pride is also good. All good things in moderation. Extremism should be avoided in anything. You can be great at something without lording it over people, but accomplishing goals does deserve celebration as well.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Humility is a great virtue, not to be confussed with self loathing of any sorts. Having self worth and self respect is not in conflict with the virtue of humility.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 30, 2018 at 3:16 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Humility is good, but pride is also good

I'm not a fan of pride. I'm a huge fan of gratitude though. I'm not a fan of anything driven by egotism even if it feels nice, really.

(March 30, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Humility is a great virtue, not to be confussed with self loathing of any sorts. Having self worth and self respect is not in conflict with the virtue of humility.

I agree with this. Which is why I feel sad when there are some sorts of Christians who feel that they need to feel ashamed of being a "sinner" and they call that humility.

I'm aware you're not one of those Christians though. You're not one of those Christians ashamed of their sexuality, for example. You recognize that the vast majority of people (any adult who isn't an asexual basically) are sexual beings, and it's perfectly natural and healthy, and nothing to be ashamed of. There is nothing "dirty" about sex. Unless we mean the fun kind Tongue

Nothing to feel bad about basically. Even for those who believe in original sin should surely understand that it makes no sense to be ashamed of our own bodies that even from a religious perspective were clearly given to us for positive reasons, and not as a punishment.
(March 30, 2018 at 3:18 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(March 30, 2018 at 3:16 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Humility is good, but pride is also good

I'm not a fan of pride. I'm a huge fan of gratitude though. I'm not a fan of anything driven by egotism even if it feels nice, really.

(March 30, 2018 at 3:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Humility is a great virtue, not to be confussed with self loathing of any sorts. Having self worth and self respect is not in conflict with the virtue of humility.

I agree with this. Which is why I feel sad when there are some sorts of Christians who feel that they need to feel ashamed of being a "sinner" and they call that humility.

I'm aware you're not one of those Christians though.

Well, we should feel ashamed for our wrong doings. And acknowledging that and feeling remorse for it, is humility.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 30, 2018 at 3:13 pm)Bahana Wrote: I admit I have a visceral reaction when I hear people bragging about themselves or their accomplishments. I'm not sure if it's something leftover from my Christian upbringing that put a high value on humility. Many today feel there's nothing wrong with talking about your good qualities or your accomplishments because it shows self-confidence. Of course overdoing it can make it look like someone is overcompensating. What is your view?

I define humility as accepting the truth even if it's from the child.  It's willing to admit your wrong when you are, and being honest to yourself, and not being unbalanced in how highly you think of yourself over others, belittling others while giving yourself the highest mantle of honor.

Of course what you mention is something else. That is bragging. Bragging and praising yourself is hated because humans seek perfection and ought to be on the look out to be greater, and if you are bragging, it means you think little of your faults and much of your good traits, and that tilts you away from the path and shows you are to a degree not caring to perfect yourself.

And if you are totally pure, you can't claim it, because you have no proof. So best thing is silence.  I am learning that now. Neither exposing your sins neither associating others in your sacred journey to the beloved, that you seek their praise and pleasure, and admiration.

This is what Imam Jaffar said to one of his students:

A person who is deluded is wretched in this world, and is duped in the next world because he has sold what is better for what is baser. Do not admire yourself. Sometimes you may be deceived by your property and your bodily health into supposing that you will last forever. Sometimes you are deceived by your long life, your children and your friends into thinking that you will be saved by them. Sometimes you are deceived by your beauty and the circumstances of your birth, which bring you your hopes and desires so easily that you think that you are truthful and successful in achieving your goal.

Sometimes you are deceived by the regret you show people for your shortcoming in worship, but Allah knows the opposite of that is in your heart. Sometimes you make yourself worship in a spirit of reluctance; but Allah desires sincerity. Sometimes you imagine that you are calling on Allah when you are calling on another. Sometimes you imagine that you are giving good counsel to people, while your real desire is that they bow to you. Sometimes you blame yourself when you are really praising yourself.

Know that you will only emerge from the darkness of delusion and desire by sincerely turning in repentance to Almighty Allah, and to whatever you know about Him, and to recognize the faults in your self which are not consistent with your intellect and knowledge, and which the faith, the law and the customary practices of the Holy Prophet and the Imams of guidance do not tolerate.

If you are content with your present condition, there is no one more wretched than you in knowledge and action, nor anyone with a more wasted life. You will inherit grief on the Day of Resurrection.
(March 30, 2018 at 3:21 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Well, we should feel ashamed for our wrong doings. And acknowledging that and feeling remorse for it, is humility.

Yes. We should feel ashamed for bad actions (or at least guilty)... but not for our character. I guess I see guilt as always better than shame, and guilt cultures as superior to shame cultures. There's a difference between feeling bad about something bad you did, and hating who you are as a person (and your own soul if you believe in souls). I don't think even God, if I pretend he exists for a second, would want you to be ashamed of your own personality no matter how bad what you did was, only guilty for your behavior and wrongdoing. What do you think? From a religious perspective, surely our body, our minds and even our souls are given to us by god, and so it's wrong to feel ashamed of them no matter how much we become consumed by sin, as at their core from a religious perspective they're ultimately god-given. Surely it is only our choices, from a religious perspective, and from the perspective of people who believe in free will, that we can truly own. What do you think?
Christians are told to exhibit humility so as to encourage them to be more docile before their handlers, to say nothing of more gullible before their scripture and doctrine. Humility is also thought to be a good tool to encourage the victims of christian proslytizing to lower their nature guard.

Self-loathing, for certain pious believers, is recommend by the traditions attributed to the household of Mohammad.  Imam Ali in Nahjul balagha describing the pious says their hate for themselves is great.

That is different than humility, but the self-blaming soul can reach a state where it hates what it has become, but has compassion enough for itself to change and move forward.

To be distressed at the evil we have reached, is good, because it's the distressed ones of the people of evil that God has promised to remove the evil from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 13371 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  Intellectual Humility: A Guiding Principle For The Skeptical Movement? Duty 30 2823 September 12, 2020 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Humility why do you mock me so? Losty 58 7626 September 23, 2016 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe